WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not canning, but satisfying:

First batch of beets that were cooked several days ago have been peeled, cut into "sticks", popped into freezer for IQF before being bagged. I hope they are not rubbery when cooked. Last pot full of beets cooking now, to receive the same treatment.

18 eggs bagged in 6 egg increments, popped into the freezer.

I'm heading into the winter with about 2 x the produce laid up compared to last year. This will be well appreciated since DH retires at end of year, and I'm assuming that I am no longer working. I thank God for blessing us with such bounty this year.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
9.5 pt of applesauce, skin on. 3 qt. apples prepped and waiting in fridge for pie or crisp this weekend! Looks like I'll have an other small batch of beets to process. Will be freezing more eggs this weekend. At the rate the girls are going, I may have fresh eggs all winter!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
my girls are down to 1 or 2 eggs a day :( But I do have a couple of 1/2 gallon jars of freeze-dried which are decent for scrambles and omelets as well as baking. I did tell DH that we can't have eggs every morning now-- luckily I found a good keto recipe for Noatmeal.
I freeze dried a couple of trays of parsley- enough for the winter and spring I think. Not bad for 2 plants minus what I used through the summer and a batch of chimmichuri.

The chile verde I made is all gone (it's a favorite around here) so I'll be looking for a good price on pork shoulder roasts to make another mondo batch for canning. I love canning soup and stew in pint jars - the perfect size for a warm lunch.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have some leftover chili that I would like ot can in pint jars for lunches.
@Britesea do you have any advice for canning chili?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As long as you haven't added any flour or rice, that sort of thing, it should be safe. The rule of thumb I use is to pressure can it if I'm not sure about the acidity, and use the ingredient with the longest time requirement for how long to process it. So I'm guessing you have meat in your chili so that would probably be the ingredient that would dictate the time.

Please be aware though, that I might be wrong... I'm not an expert.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Any readers canned baked beans? (Starting with dry beans, pre-cooked/parboiled, then placed in jars with appropriate seasoning for baked beans) Recipes to share? Issues with siphoning?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday we butchered 10 old layer hens. I canned 11 pints of chicken meat today, 12 quarts of dog food, the backs, necks, gizzards, livers, hearts and rice. Tomorrow I’ll simmer bones and can broth. Got 7 more to slaughter.

PatriciaPNW

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How do old hens taste? Texture? I’ve never processed on my own - I’m okay with slaughtering but the rest seems like too much to remember, much less to do correctly. I tell
myself that as soon as there’s a food shortage I will just reinvent chicken butchering from instinct (as if! - add emoji of me with my head in my hands)