WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would love to have an All American. They will take a double layer of jars, yes???? I never would have dreamed that I would ever be canning enough to be able to need that much space in a pressure canner. OH, how I wish I'd been thinking ahead!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My All American does up to pints in a double layer. It's a 21 quart.

We saved and decided to splurge when we bought my first canner. Not having to deal with a gasket or a dial gauge helps. I like the weighted gauge. Can tell how everything is going just by the jiggling.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a "No.7", now the 915, so single layer. BUT since I only paid $25. for it -- and it had NEVER been used, inserts still paper wrapped inside it -- I was ok with a single stack. It's $259 today. I did buy the jiggler for it as it had the gage but a different thingy for pressure. Now I have $50 in it. :D

So that rascal had sat for quite a while, waiting for a user. I also have, and used extensively, an old Presto. Still works well. Must be 40 yrs old. Several gaskets later...:) Then there's the Instant Pot.....I'm sure it will get more use in the coming months. It does have the pressure canning feature and I'm going to give that a try this Spring -- well, maybe something this winter to "test". But it's nice if you are only doing 3 or 4 pints of something, rather than the big canner. Like leftover soups.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I didn't think you could can with the Instant Pot- only pressure COOK. Unless that's a new development?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know there are electric steam canners (aka water bath alternate). Not heard of any electric pressure canners.

I could very much see an Instant Pot that did steam canning. There is no way it could hold up to the pressure needed for pressure canning.

PatriciaPNW

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did splurge on the canner AND on my 9 tray dehydrator. It’s the same reason a metal roof goes on my chicken shed next summer: I think I have 20 good years left based on watching several generations of my elders AND it’s a nice inheritance if my daughter has interest. Meanwhile my carpets are LONG past needing replacement and my vehicle is a 2006. Laughing at myself.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I went looking for the pressure canning with an instant pot. The Max version says it does, but independent tests haven't recommended it as they can't tell if it's accurate on temp since it's off by as much as 20° when doing other things.

This makes sense to me as you can't calibrate the electic thermometer. Even dial ones are supposed to get checked yearly.

I calibrate for hatching eggs because thermometers notoriouslu go off. I'd want to know that the one I was relying on for canning was accurate.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did splurge on the canner AND on my 9 tray dehydrator. It’s the same reason a metal roof goes on my chicken shed next summer: I think I have 20 good years left based on watching several generations of my elders AND it’s a nice inheritance if my daughter has interest. Meanwhile my carpets are LONG past needing replacement and my vehicle is a 2006. Laughing at myself.

I'm also keeping an eye on a reasonable timeline. Of course, I'm not even promised tomorrow. But, I'm working hard right now at getting my gardening simplified, getting an orchard going, and cutting my cash flow. When I leave this place, I want to leave it in a state of productivity, with a well stocked pantry.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When my DH's grandma died - she had the canning shelves in the basement full. When DH's grandpa passed 15 years later, all of the stuff that grandma canned was still sitting on the shelves. lol!
As the daughters were cleaning out the house, they were dumping the canned goods into the compost pile. They said most of the stuff still looked and smelled good enough to eat.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How sad. And, they probably threw away those jars, also!

I never give my home processed food away, unless I am assured that it will actually be used. I once gave a doz. eggs to a relative. They threw them away a week later, because they assumed they were no longer good. HELLO??? Read the Julian date on store eggs lately???? No more eggs for you!!!!