WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you re-use your lids? Or use jars that you may have purchased something in? I do both. Many spaghetti/pizza sauces come in Atlas, or some other named canning jars. Those fit the standard rings and lids. When I open a jar of my own processed food, I place something between the lid and my pry type can opener. This prevents the lid from denting. Then, if the interior of the lid is in good shape, without any dings in the white coating, it's a simple matter of rolling the edge of the lid on the counter to smooth out any dent caused by the can opener. I re-use for pickles, and any HWB products. Really, could do so with pressure canning as well. But, B/C of the time investment, I usually don't. Many jars from grocer shelves can be re-used with the lids they come with, if lids are in good shape.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use jars from some purchase items. Rings, reused. Lids -- I mark & save a few for use to put on a jar that I may be storing something in. But, for actual canning...I just like new lids. Not saying anything wrong with reuse. The pressure canned normally show a far deeper impression from seal than WB. Most of the pressure canning is such an investment in time, energy and possible loss, I just like a new lid.

Use a good amount of those white plastic lids for storing. And they work wonderfully for my goat milk. I find the hot milk, then fast cooling temps create a nice seal with these. My milk will stay fresh for 3 weeks easily....in cold frig, of course. LOL

Once canned and fully cooled, I will remove rings to use on other jars being canned. Never had a problem with this and it depends on how many I'm needing and have at hand. Plus, the rings always seem to get looking bad -- less quality materials? Repeated use? When they get ugly, I toss.

Because I want to feel the work in canning is worth the results (beyond healthy food) I often compare pricing of my product with in store similar. Makes me feel better.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Because I want to feel the work in canning is worth the results (beyond healthy food) I often compare pricing of my product with in store similar. Makes me feel better.

also note that what you are comparing against is usually mass produced, laden with sugar or other stuff. so really you are comparing apples to oranges...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, I know mine is far better!! But if a pint of organic "XX" is $2.50, then mine are worth at least that. Just gives me a feel for the out of pocket savings -- or givings, when I share! :D

There comes a time when you need to appreciate the value of that jar of food in pure $$, not just sustenance. Like the seed we save. Yep, $$ in your pocket from purchase of seed to starter plants. At some point in most lives we have more time than money. It's nice to know we have "spent" our time well.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, I know mine is far better!! But if a pint of organic "XX" is $2.50, then mine are worth at least that. Just gives me a feel for the out of pocket savings -- or givings, when I share! :D

There comes a time when you need to appreciate the value of that jar of food in pure $$, not just sustenance. Like the seed we save. Yep, $$ in your pocket from purchase of seed to starter plants. At some point in most lives we have more time than money. It's nice to know we have "spent" our time well.

we have, we have!

yes, i do that calculation too, but it's a ways down the list for me.

one time when doing tomatoes i was trying to calculate the cost to us per jar and it was getting to be where we'd reused the jars enough times that the cost was getting down to whatever the cost was for new lids plus a few pennies for electricity. $0.20-0.30 a quart.

we'd been lucky to find some people who were getting out of canning and so they gave us their jars and rings.

i've never priced natural tomatoes in glass jars. if your price is right that'd be $5/quart. which sounds very expensive for sure.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finished last 8 pints of applesauce that I will make. Do not need any more!! Apples left will be goat treats today.

My issue is that I LOVE to see shelves of canned goods. I know it's from my admiring the cellars full at both grandparents so many years ago. It will be a determined effort to re-program myself to use up these stores. Of course, right now I'm trying to use a freezer full....and some canned....in addition to stocked items in cabinets. Working on "use" because next winter I hope to have supplied an entire season of canned goods to eliminate grocery shopping beyond staples and/or cleaning, etc., from summer garden and preserving.

This eating part is a JOB! I'm trying to realign myself to the eventual retirement life but, it's a really different concept. :rolleyes:

I'm not a person who takes on drastic life changes without some planning and this is my year of "trial run" for limiting spending, use of everything, analyzing if I have all I will need to do all I want, etc. That said, I'll bring home a new animal and use temporary housing until. Guess this is MY temporary "life" change time.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses It's funny - but I'm kinda the same way about the canned stuff. I like seeing it on the shelves, lol. I also need to use it - not look at it! I've been juicing lemons but haven't canned it yet. I have 1.5 gallons of juice I'll get canned today.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do salt-preserved lemons (and limes) every year. Once the salt has done it's thing, I usually take at least some of them and grind them into a paste in the blender. I use that instead of lemon juice in a lot of recipes. It's amazing spread on chicken or salmon, with a touch of zaatar or dill, respectively. Basically any recipe that I judge doesn't actually need the liquidity of the juice, I substitute the preserved lemon (and reduce the salt a bit).

I also just recently found a recipe for candied lemon peels that uses sugar substitutes that sounds interesting. That might taste real good with gingerbread chaffles.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't done salt preserved lemons because for the life of me I couldn't figure out what I'd do with them. I like your idea - thanks for the tip! I may actually try some of that now. I have been zesting a lot too. I have a couple of cups of zest in the freezer. Can't imagine that I'd need much more than that for awhile. But I can't stop myself from trying to use every bit of the bounty! I'd be interested in a recipe that used sugar substitute to preserve them.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
. I have 1.5 gallons of juice I'll get canned today.

Can't imagine that I'd need much more than that for awhile. But I can't stop myself from trying to use every bit of the bounty!

I swear, it's a real problem!!! I didn't want to waste these apples but, just had to stop myself!! :he :lol: Control!

If this is how it's going to be, I'm in trouble if the garden does really well. Can't imagine.