WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I canned 5 pints of green pepper - onion relish. All day cook down of tomatoes into sauce is now working. Then will can. Dehydrating peppers, plus worked up & froze eggplant, made stuffed peppers which will soon be vac sealed & frozen. Made cheese. Been a busy day!

I am now possessed with the baked beans in one step! the OLD All American canner book says to partially cook beans, add sauce, then put into a #3 can. :lol: Told you it was old! At any rate, seems that everything points to partially cooking beans first. if your sauce was already cooked and thick, then I can see where adding both would work, especially with pressure and time. You could heat and eat or dump into a pan and bake/broil a short time for that wonderful baked in top/sides. Hey, that's the best part, anyway. It also says put bacon in first and a little more on top before sealing that can & processing. (Same for pork & beans) We'll get it figured out! I can see some attempts here next week.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed...in a VERY old Ball Canning Book..found these instructions. :lol: Enjoy the old ways. ;)

Cold Pack Method. Select sweet corn ears of nearly
uniform size and proper ripeness. If too ripe, the corn
will color while processing. If not ripe enough, much
food value is lost. Remove husk, silk, shanks, tips
and any injured or defective places. Blanch the corn
in boiling water or steam chest for from five to ten
minutes (time depends on degree of ripeness). Remove
ears from boiling water and plunge into cold water
for one minute, cut only enough corn from the ears
at a time to fill one Jar. Pack in hot BALL Jars (J^-
inch from top). Fill to overflowing with boiling water,
adding one teaspoon salt for each quart jar. Put rubber
and cap in position, not tight, and set the Jar in cooker
immediately. Proceed with each Jar in same manner.
Process the corn three hours in home-made water bath
outfit, see page 16. See time table page 18, for other
types of cookers. When the product has finished cooking
remove one Jar at a time, fasten cover down tight and
set away to cool

1598874725035.png

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm cooking the last 3 bags of tomatoes from the freezer. The tomato plants are 10 to 12 feet tall and finally slowing down on production. They are still producing, but the tomatoes are small and not worth bothering with when I have already canned so much.

BBQ beans!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Didn't get sauce finished before sleep called me! Began that finish about 5:30. Will be ready to go in canner in another hr or so. Also cleaned, sliced and loaded more green peppers into dehydrator while up early. This should finish my kitchen work for a few days! :D

Well, except for final clean up.....you know we all have EVERY bowl, knife, strainer and towel in the house in use and then washing all. Some of these pots do not fit in the dishwasher...way too big. But, I'm sure thankful for those that DO fit. :old

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had 7 pints of tomato sauce yesterday. I don't need any more with what I already had/have. Done. Did save a couple tomatoes for sandwiches 😁

Bay, you had an exceptional crop this year!! I had to buy. :( July just dried them up...too hot to even set fruit, young plants. Got a few for eating. Had to buy canners. But, they were some good ones!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I praised my garden plants, congratulating them on producing so much food for not only us, but many other people as well. They must have liked what they heard, because they really kicked it into high gear and outdid themselves. We have all the Purple Hull peas we want, but I will continue to water, weed and pick them-to give them away. Same with green beans. The Thai #3 long beans produce until a hard killing frost. I am in that time of year that if I eat another dad-burned green bean, I'm gonna puke. So I pick and give away. I will not just walk away and let good food go to waste.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No canning today. I'm done for a few days -- maybe. Will check the butternuts. Some were getting close. May have a few. They hold well when cured but, nice to have some precooked.

@baymule I'd like to try those Thai long beans...where'd you get them? They apparently hold up well to canning....yes? That's why I like KY Wonders, they don't mush when canned. In fact, I think they are better/more tender after canning.

I feel I only need a few seeds added to my stash for 2021, so will probably order soon. But, then, what will I do in Jan & Feb??? :\ Maybe I will get my butt in gear & start some seedlings? That works.

Latest posts