WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Right now Im canning white beans. Trying 2 different methods. First method was straight dry in the jar about 2/3rds cup. Thats going right now.

I did both to test outcome. ;) Saw little difference except less prep time with dry fill. Of course, they were rinsed first. But 2/3 cup makes a really full pint, when done. I am careful to level the measure or a tad less. The red kidney didn't pump as much as the great northern, so a little less tight, more fluids. Have some pinto to do soon. May do some butterbeans, those large dry ones. Love those, tasty tidbits.:drool

I actually put a couple jars of kidney beans in the canner to fill it when I did the corn today. Less expensive than buying canned at store....where prices keep rising!

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I actually forgot to rinse them first before dry canning. Oops. But they plumped up just fine and I guess I'll find out how they taste when I eat some. 😝

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rammy what worked best, canning dry or soaked beans? How do the white beans can up, is that the same kind as in pork n' beans? I like baked BBQ beans, but the juice in pork n' beans is not very tasty. Wonder if i could can the white beans in half water, half BBQ sauce? Ever try that?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking like you -- all at one time, BBQ beans. Sadly, I've only seen instructions to do them first, then can. Well, seems they'd be too cooked ?? Maybe 1/2 cook beans, add sauce, then process?

Gotta be a way! I suspect the water wouldn't lessen enough. You know they do lose moisture when baking and thicken up -- :drool

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking like you -- all at one time, BBQ beans. Sadly, I've only seen instructions to do them first, then can. Well, seems they'd be too cooked ?? Maybe 1/2 cook beans, add sauce, then process?

Gotta be a way! I suspect the water wouldn't lessen enough. You know they do lose moisture when baking and thicken up -- :drool
Maybe soak them first, then can in half water and half BBQ sauce. I'll think on that. I've been cooped up in the kitchen with a trail to the garden to get more, to can more, back to the garden to get more, then can more........

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
normally i'll check the beans and sort them long before they get put into storage or used. but a little bit of dirt on them won't kill someone if you're boiling them to cook them. i've certainly survived my share of gritty beans.

in the case of pressure canning i wouldn't worry too much either as long as you had them in there a long enough period of time.

if they were dirty and i was BWB them i'd put them in the fridge and eat them ASAP or discard them. :(

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Rammy what worked best, canning dry or soaked beans? How do the white beans can up, is that the same kind as in pork n' beans? I like baked BBQ beans, but the juice in pork n' beans is not very tasty. Wonder if i could can the white beans in half water, half BBQ sauce? Ever try that?
They canned just fine. The dry pack that I put 2/3rds in and filled with water then pressure canned plumped right up and filled the jar.
The ones I soaked first didnt fill up the jar because dummy me also only put 2/3rds in, thinking they would plump up more (they didnt.):hide
Ive never canned white beans or pinto beans before so this is a learning curve for me. I think I should master putting in the right amount first before I try a new recipe as crazy as bbq sauce. :eek:

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sometimes you just gotta try stuff. :) it's ok. it isn't too often i come up with something i can't eat, but even in that case the worms will do the honors.

i'm not sure i'm canning anything today. we'll see... i've been surprised before and Mom did pick some tomatoes this morning so we need to get those brought in.

Latest posts