WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've done meal worms. Found them to be super stinky. Not overly impressed with them. I consider there are better protein options. If I was in a bit more southern locale, I'd be growing black soldier fly larvae.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ATTENTION! ATTENTION! I just found out that Ball Canning has STOPPED producing canning jars for the rest of the year. They will not start up again until the new year.

Can't help wondering why they would deliberately cut themselves off from major profits considering how many people are wanting jars at this time? hmmmmm

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is odd --- Maybe retooling? Heck, good time as all stock is gone. OR?????

Some vendors are at the end of "the bubble" and can't get enough supplies from their suppliers......

Glad I have enough jars, with several dozen empty, so I could start up next Spring with no problems. Plus....I suspect some will be on CL. 🤔
Plan to order more lids after first of yr....have enough for the empty jars right now but, there's always a need for more.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Makes me wonder why they would cease manufacturing... unless they can't get supplies. I've heard that's the case with a lot of manufacturing. While the factory that makes the finished product is able to continue manufacturing, a hic-cup in the supply chain closes them down. I am oh so very thankful that I planned ahead.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i haven't seen that in the news? seems pretty silly, but they might be retooling the lines or moving them to Mexico or something...

we're glad to be done for the season and a few lids in stock now, but will keep our eyes open for when the shelves get restocked too as we'd like to keep enough on hand for next season.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i still can't see any information in the news about lids and why they're so short in supply.

the last time Mom found some in the stores she got what she could and for the first time we had one box where two lids were stuck together by the sealing compound. they stuck together through the whole process so those two lids counted as one in the final box and we weren't shorted. i kept it as a souveneir... :) Mom has probably already recycled it...