WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I always look, just to see what's there. I have enough for all empty jars but, will buy up a new supply like everyone here!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hello Kim! You're in good company. I had lids in stock. But... when Covid jumped across the pond, I immediately stocked up. I won't publicly state how many lids I have... but it's enough to see me through several gardening seasons! I'm well set for jars also!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a large inventory of lids, I got in high gear and worked the garden hard, so had more to can. I used a lot of my lids and need to restock now. If I'm going to can like I did this year, I'm gonna need lots more!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Don't forget: If you treat those lids with TLC, you can re-use them. The canning police will tell you it can't be done. But... I had 100% seal on used lids, many of which had been used 3 - 4 times this season. In order for a lid to get reused in my kitchen, the white painted area must be blemish free. The rubber ring must be w/o stain, and in perfect condition, and there must be no dimples left on the center or outer edge. I take great care to not dimple my lids when I open a jar.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Chicago Tribune article dated 9-28-20

quote from part way down the article:

“While Midland has more supplies on order, the entire canning industry has seen an unprecedented demand for supplies as more consumers prepare meals at home during the pandemic, said a spokesperson for Newell Brands, owner of Ball, which produces Mason jars and other canning supplies.
“The demand has resulted in supply constraints, extended lead times and recently limited product availability at stores and online,” the spokesperson said. To replenish the stock as quickly as possible, the company said it’s increased glass production, found additional lid manufacturers and expanded its pack-out locations.“

This doesn’t sound like they are halting production. Unless something has changed since 9-28-20.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We knew that the pandemic was driving a lot of people to do things themselves. First all the baking, then the gardens, then canning.

I had a feeling last spring that I needed to make sure right then that I had enough lids for all my canning and the fish I planned to do. I do tend to follow my instincts on stuff like that.

People are also buying more canned foods for storing. It's almost impossible to find a brand name canned vegetable anywhere around here. Store brands are limited and mostly green beans and corn. Mom has seen the same where she is.

I have enough canned goods to last 6 months only eating that. Hubby wants me to can up more beef now that I opened one to make soup. I do need some more pasta and he wants me to make bean soups again like I used to.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we won't be canning soups or vegetables any more this season, but the beans i cooked the other evening are going to be turned into bean soup and we'll use some canning jars to freeze what we don't eat or give away right away. we reuse lids for the freezer jars.

i had two piles of Purple Dove shelly beans, the first batch cooked up really well so i did it again for the second batch too.

the juice from the beans can be used as a pH indicator, but so far i've not managed to pour it off at the right stage to get it clear so the second batch i have is milky pinky-purple color, but i'll see how it works anyways when i do some soil samples from the gardens. i want to see if all the irrigation i've done has shifted the pH much or not. i'll have to wait until next season to try again or next time i cook up some PD beans i can try to get it poured off sooner.