WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
3 more pints of chicken, 7 pints of lean ground beef in the canner. First batch pinging away.
Basically another month's worth of one meal per day

I like to hear that "ting" of the jars sealing. It's almost as satisfying and listening to an autumn olive being chopped up by the bush hog at full tractor RPM in low 1. 😁

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Oh, and we used beef stock stock as the liquid in the ground beef. They look good this morning

Attachments

• 20220529_065435.jpg
    20220529_065435.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 56

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Depending on the cut of meat, I had a layer of fat at the top. Didn't interfere with the canning.

Only issue I've had on fish or meat was when I was distracted and pulled the weight too soon during cool down. Ruined 2 jars, but had put the weight back soon enough the others were fine.

Top round is on sale for $2.99/lb so I think I'll be canning some of that up if I can get down there

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Others who can red meats.....any issues with the fats?? Down the road?
Ball says to skim off fat. Rebel canners say a layer of fat is an added layer of sealing. I think the concern is that fat could go rancid? I leave the fat on ground meat, and it gets used up fast enough that rancidity is never a concern here.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ball says to skim off fat. Rebel canners say a layer of fat is an added layer of sealing. I think the concern is that fat could go rancid? I leave the fat on ground meat, and it gets used up fast enough that rancidity is never a concern here.

i wouldn't think that rancidity would be as much of an issue if you pressure cook because most of the air is gone from a jar by the time it finishes. i've never had canned meat go rancid in the metal cans from the stores and there's fat in those at times. i've not pressure canned meats here so i can't really speak from direct experience there.