WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My thought was concern with grease getting between lid gasket and jar rim... :idunno

if you use a filler funnel you might not get much on the rims.

also out of habit though i always wipe the rims with a very clean washcloth to make sure they are clean and clear of anything that might mess them up.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I get water oily after canning fish sometimes but they all have sealed just fine. Didn't have any of those problems with the quarts of beef.

I  always listen when opening a can or jar for the air. Was taught that as a kid. I've very rarely had lids fail and if it's questionable I toss. I've had more bad cans from the store than home canned items.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I get water oily after canning fish sometimes but they all have sealed just fine. Didn't have any of those problems with the quarts of beef.

I  always listen when opening a can or jar for the air. Was taught that as a kid. I've very rarely had lids fail and if it's questionable I toss. I've had more bad cans from the store than home canned items.

i can't remember having any bad items from the store where i bought them, a few dented cans at the worst. when i've been shopping sometimes i've noticed things being off and made sure to tell someone at the store about it. a package of pre-cooked bacon bits was moldy and gray and i took it and handed it to someone to make sure it wasn't on the shelf, etc.