WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They are sponsored by the University of Georgia. Most university sponsored stuff is on the up and up. It was the University of Wisconsin that tested steam canning safety and established the protocols for it. The local Extension offices are run by universities. The USDA gets their info from university studies.

I've visted their website quite a few times over the years.

University of Alaska and Washington State University -Grays Harbor Extention have the best info for fish like tuna because locals need and use that info.

I feel Ball is less up to date than the nchfp website.
THANK YOU!

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mint varieties: anyone ever use a variety other than true peppermint to make jelly or extracts? I have an abundance of orange mint, apple mint and spearmint right now and wondering if they would work for the above-named items, mainly jelly. Going to be cool tomorrow so a good day to can up some jelly.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You're sure energetic! Not cool here and jelly is last thing on my mind. :lol: go for it.....I have some canned elderberry that would work. 🤔 Ain't happening soon. Maybe fall, after I've picked this year's crop and have way too much.

Is the orange mint orange tasting???

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thoughts on a decent price for a bushel of local green beans? I am lousy at haggling, particularly with all the economic crap going on right now. Want to can a bunch
I have no idea. I usually just ask if they can take a little less. I'll be really nice and say I know what hard work this is, but... If they can't go down and I really want them - I just suck it up, lol.