WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mint varieties: anyone ever use a variety other than true peppermint to make jelly or extracts? I have an abundance of orange mint, apple mint and spearmint right now and wondering if they would work for the above-named items, mainly jelly. Going to be cool tomorrow so a good day to can up some jelly.

try a blend of peppermint and spearmint. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find any canning recipes for strawberries besides jam on any University Extension site. We are not fans of strawberry jam and don't do any alcohol, so does anyone have any canning recipes to share for strawberries? Syrup, juice, pie filling etc? I have 10 lbs of strawberries to process and have already washed and frozen 5 ;)

if you like extra lemon juice in your strawberries it sounds like you would also like freezer jam instead of cooked strawberry jam. i no longer make any cooked strawberry jam at all and i've even started getting away from making strawberry freezer jam too because the pectin has gotten rediculously expensive but also because the flavor without the pectin is the same and i also am using less sugar. still turns out great for using as topping for shortcakes, ice-cream or pie filling, with rhubarb, etc.

have you ever tried making strawberry freezer jam?

this year's strawberry patch harvest was about two quarts total. we ate them and enjoyed them as strawberry shortcakes (over homemade shortbread cookies) but that was weeks ago. no added stock to the freezer this year.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have not, but I still have strawberries so maybe I will. My mom always froze strawberry rhubarb jam in the white square plastic containers ;)

i may never make cooked strawberry jam again as far as the flavor goes in comparison. :) i used to make 50 or more pints a year.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA! I HAVE A LARGE TOTE FULL OF THOSE CONTAINER THINGS FROM MY MOM'S!!!!!

i use eight of them when sorting beans because they fit exactly in the Jif box flats that we get from Sam's. i'd use them for freezer stuff if we had enough of them, but we don't. instead we use quart jars, just make sure to not pack them too full so there is room for expansion and they don't usually break.