WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ninny said:
I am hoping it's okay to ask this here. I am needing to buy a pressure canner/cooker. Any good ones that won't cost me my first kid?
Everyone has a preference, based on their own experience of what they grew up with or use themselves. I personally believe that any major name brand (Presto, Mirro, All-American) is just fine. I use my Mom's 1970s Presto and another 1970s Presto that I bought second-hand, and both work great. If you buy a used one that has a dial gauge be sure to get it tested to ensure that it is still accurate, and if your model has a rubber gasket and overpressure plug, be sure to replace these with new ones. Some people are partial to the All-American models because they don't have any rubber parts that ever need replacing.

Buying used is a good way to save money, just get it checked out--but your basic 23 quart model Presto is usually around $100 new and the 18 quart is cheaper. I don't see Mirros that often so no idea on price, and All-American isn't sold up here but online they look like they run almost $300 for a similar size.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I like the Presto's too...kinda sentimental for me, as that is what i always remember my mom and grandma having. I never remember any trouble out of them, so I'd think they are high quality considering both mom and grandma still have the same ones they used when i was a kid ;)

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love my Presto 23 quart pressure canner; it's about $75 through amazon.com. Buy an extra rack so you can do double layers while canning, if necessary. They're about $10.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
KnittyGritty said:
I love my Presto 23 quart pressure canner; it's about $75 through amazon.com. Buy an extra rack so you can do double layers while canning, if necessary. They're about $10.
I've always just used a flat wire rack from my other canner to separate the layers :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
moolie....you gonna post on here? I see you online right now, and I just KNOW you canned something today :lol:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nope, sorry--but we ate some canned food today ;)

Home made saskatoon berry jam on toast at breakfast, a jar of last week's Baked Beans at lunch, but nothing canned at dinner--we had pork stir fry with noodles.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:ep Goodness woman!! :lol: Everyone needs a break sometimes huh? ;)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I don't actually can every day :)

Tonight was "family dinner night", a new tradition since my 16-yo daughter has been working part-time. Once a week we try to all cook dinner together, on a night when we're all home. Last week we had a "breakfast for dinner" evening (pancakes, bacon, eggs, fried potatoes) and tonight it was Pork Stir Fry with noodles. Everyone seems to enjoy it, and the food is always good. Plus I think the girls are learning more cooking this way too.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love my presto and I have both sizes. My 23 qt I found at a thrift store for $20 :D I have never used a second rack though. I usually put my wide mouth on the bottom and stack the regular mouth on top of them. I have never had a problem with them not sealing. Is there a risk? I have been doing this for years.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I am addicted to All-Americans. Very sturdy, no replacement seal, and they are weighted gauge. I like the weighted because you are not as tied down to watching it. You can go get the mail, gather eggs, and come back and all is fine. I have Model #921