Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Added and then canned it up. Wife was browning it when I took the picture
Cold weather and cornbread here we come
20220822_090831.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For canning the corn, I just used a knife to cut the kernels off the cob raw. 9 ears of corn filled 7 half pints, with enough left over for another jar but I couldn't find an empty one in the kitchen to use, lol.
Filled jars with raw kernels to 1" headspace. Added 1/4 tsp salt and topped off with boiling water to top of kernels - keeping 1" headspace.
Pressure canned for 25 minutes for 1/2 pints, directions from Ball call for 55 minutes for pints and 85 minutes for quarts.
I would have done pint jars, but I am now diabetic and corn is not the healthiest for me to eat. I love corn and can eat an entire can of corn by myself. Smaller jars will prevent that, I think. Lol

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
For canning the corn, I just used a knife to cut the kernels off the cob raw. 9 ears of corn filled 7 half pints, with enough left over for another jar but I couldn't find an empty one in the kitchen to use, lol.
Filled jars with raw kernels to 1" headspace. Added 1/4 tsp salt and topped off with boiling water to top of kernels - keeping 1" headspace.
Pressure canned for 25 minutes for 1/2 pints, directions from Ball call for 55 minutes for pints and 85 minutes for quarts.
I would have done pint jars, but I am now diabetic and corn is not the healthiest for me to eat. I love corn and can eat an entire can of corn by myself. Smaller jars will prevent that, I think. Lol
Agreed on all of that. Great job

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Would you share your canned salsa recipe? I have tons of peppers out in the garden and tomatoes are starting to ripen. Need to come up with something to do with all of them.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
tomatoes off and on all day. just waiting for the last batch to seal up and i can zzZZzzZ. 47 & 1/2 quarts today which i think beats my record by 1/2 quart. i didn't look super close through the records though so i may have missed something as i was just in between stirring and filling jars or waiting for some water to come to a boil.

i definitely love the half gallon jars and used all of them up.

definitely do not like tomatoes that look like brains. probably added three hours to processing working through all those that i picked that were ready to can. i'm hoping there aren't too many more out there like that. besides taking a lot of time to do them there's a lot more waste. ah well, today at least is done. :)