WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hopefully I will have the rest canned up by noon today BUT it just so happened one of the jars didn't seal....oh darn.....guess I know what we are having for lunch this today....

chefsdreams

Power Conserver
Reaction score
that french onion soup looks fantastic! topped with gruyere... :drool
oh man, i had forgotten how much i really like french onion soup.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Whoooa!!!!! You have blown me away......I knew you had to soak them in lots of salt and that would help you not to get so much gas...but.....that's all I knew.....YUP! we all learn lots from each other... THANKS

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother Yes, I have tweaked it to suit our taste and It is delish and oh so cheap....I will never eat it out again...

Next I will finish the bacon I have frozen then on to beef dishes....Must clean out my freezers. I have 4 or 5 of them and would like to get us back down to 2, 1 for meat and 1 for veggies....

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Same here Icertuche! We had a freezer fail last month. It was only coincidence I went out to bring in some meat from that freezer. We didn't lose any, but there was a year's worth of meat in there so it could have been a huge loss.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I too lost a freezer full of food. It's a crushing blow when you realize how much money is lost.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One day last year I heard a thud from the freezer. It had been bumped and turned up, and there was ice on the side that melted enough to fall. Nothing was lost, though. Ever since then I check every few days to make sure all's well and frozen! We usually have a whole pig, 15 or so chickens and 5+ turkeys in there (not to mention veggies), so it would be a major issue to lose that.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I inventoried my little chest freezer with dry erase marker on the lid. Works fabulously and wipes right off. Sometimes needs rubbing alcohol to wipe it off and the color will stay in any scratches. That doesn't bother me.

We upgraded to an upright, which is awesome. I need to inventory it too because I worry about the cold air "falling" out when I open the door and being inefficient to have the door open long enough to find things.