WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just canned 7 quarts of red kidney beans and 6 quarts and a pint of pintos. I also did another batch of strawberry preserves. They didn't set up very good. I used liquid pectin for the first time. The Wildbunch will eat it anyway. I'm sure after setting in the refrigerator it will set better. Either way we will not let it go to waste.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey gals. Quick question about lids. I recently got 3 cases of jars, but the lids were sealed. Had to use a butter knife to pop them off. Can they be boiled and used or do I need to toss them?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You should be able to use them. I did the same thing yesterday with a case of jars I've had.....ummmm.....don't know how long! If you are uneasy about it, lids are cheap.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a metal one too with a bottle opener on one side and a can opener on the other. This is what we used before pop-tops, twist-tops and such. If anyone can remember the kind to open Coke bottles and cans of beer. I remember because I'm old as dirt, lol. :old

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a metal one too with a bottle opener on one side and a can opener on the other. This is what we used before pop-tops, twist-tops and such. If anyone can remember the kind to open Coke bottles and cans of beer. I remember because I'm old as dirt, lol. :old

Lol. Some beers still need it. Plus sometimes the twist tops are too hard to turn. Mines on a magnet so it stays out of the way on the fridge.

I use canned milk occasionally for my dinner rolls and a few other recipes. Tapping the can is so much easier than using the can opener.

Oh, and I've never owned an electric can opener. Mom had one when I was a kid. I hated the sound and how hard it was to clean it. I have a smooth turning one that I bought 20 some years ago that is rinsed off after use so it looks brand new still.

I have bought Mom a battery operated side can opener and an electric jar opener, as well as one of those plastic jar poppers. Both her and Dad can't grip and turn most thing anymore. So anytime I come across something that will make their lives easier I try to get it to help.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've thought about buying blueberries from the Dollar Tree and dehydrating for muffins and pancakes.