WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hate getting my vacuum cleaner in and out of my front closet. But I have no clue where else I would store my vacuum.

our vacuum is stored out in the shed where Mom keeps all her extra quilting supplies and we stuff some gardening things in there in the fall. we might use the vacuum once a year or less (all wood floors which get dusted once in a while).

the problem with using the closet as a pantry is that it is also still being used for some of my clothes so it's not really big enough.

there's no closet space in my room for actual hanging up clothes sorts of things so those have to go i the front closet instead. my two closets in here all have shelves in them for various things and basically they act as a combined dresser cabinet and shelves for all my tools and widgets and also all of my storage for everything else that won't fit any place else in the house. emergency supplies, extra water and then well everything i can fit in there. they used to be jam packed even more but i got rid of a lot of the old computer parts so that helped quite a bit, but since then of course i've put yet more stuff back in there.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know if you get earthquakes in Indiana, but we do out west. I braced my racks and then also put "lips" on the front of some of them. Hoping to save alot of my jarred goods when the next one hits.
No, we don’t get earthquakes here. Well, there actually was a tiny one about 20 years ago. It was in Southern Indiana, but we could feel a little vibrate-ey feeling here. I noticed it but I think my husband did not.

I agree with you though, you would want to secure those canned goods. Would be such a shame to lose them.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Walmart had limes on sale for 25 cents each! I weighed them, and it worked out that 10 limes was 2 pounds. So $1.25 per pound! I got 10 pounds! :hide

And I had just cleaned my canner and put it back in the cupboard today. That’s ok. I read that if you freeze them, they will release their juice better after they thaw. So I will put these in the freezer and then I can take my time canning limeade.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Walmart had limes on sale for 25 cents each! I weighed them, and it worked out that 10 limes was 2 pounds. So $1.25 per pound! I got 10 pounds! :hide

And I had just cleaned my canner and put it back in the cupboard today. That’s ok. I read that if you freeze them, they will release their juice better after they thaw. So I will put these in the freezer and then I can take my time canning limeade.

i really prefer limes over lemons and their skins drying give off such a wondeful smell. :) once every few months i like to make grog, which is basically limes that i've peeled and then i grind them with the hand blender to get as much juice out of them as possible and then i add sugar to help preserve the concentrated sludge and juice for a few weeks while i gradually use it up. i don't mind chewy or lumps (which is a good thing since it is usually about half juice and half pulp and ground up skins of the wedges).

Mom's doing a quick shopping run today, i'll have her check the limes and get some if the price is right. :)

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I give up.

I've spent 15 min trying to upload a pic of my 4 quarts of potatoes from yesterday. Turns out that apple turned all our photos into .HEIC ones. Won't upload here. Even if I save it to jpeg.

Also since my phone and laptop are synched, they all are on the laptop and move around all the time in iphotos. Gosh....tech is soooo frustrating.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
IT can be horrid for those of us who didn't have it since the crib! :hu I bought myself a new tablet almost a month ago...still not fully set up 😡. And things are in different places on the pages, too 😵‍💫. Yeah, I'm frustrated with it too.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the quick trip to town for Mom turned out to be not so quick, because the machine ate Mom's check so she got home, we unloaded what she did get and put the cold stuff away and then had to drive back to town to get the cart of food that was sitting there. they had to rescan it, plus she'd used some gift cards which needed to get those balances restored plus the balance was then not available until today (no huge problem as she'll be back there eventually - but it is a hassle to have to check things out to make sure they've been restored, etc.). i mentioned to Mom that she should just get a debit card for that account and then she'd not have to deal with checks any more (she's lost a few plus had others that were eaten by those machines before). so...

plus earlier in the day she'd had someone tell her she needed to use an iPad to fill out some form and she told them she didn't know how to do that (true) and made them do it. they said every time she goes for an appt she'll have to use it to check in... heh, she's stubborn, she'll get someone else to do it for her...

but the troubles y'all are mentioning with iPad/images sounds like what is happening to someone else on TEG and other problems people are having on another forum.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is it the self checkout lane where your mom is losing her checks? Maybe she should go to a regular lane when she wants to write a check?

For a long time, I persisted in using my checkbook for groceries. Once they started scanning my check in their machine and handing it back to me, I realized it was basically acting the same as a debit card, so I made the switch. Now I only use checks for a couple of specific things.

But as for self checkout lanes, anymore those are as long or longer than waiting in the human checker lane. And I object on principle that I should be my own cashier. I will do it if I only have a few things AND if there are no short regular lines.

Funny, I don’t mind bagging my own things. I do it way better than their lackadaisical employees. (Bananas on the bottom because they are heavier has been my pet peeve for decades.)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Is it the self checkout lane where your mom is losing her checks? Maybe she should go to a regular lane when she wants to write a check?

no, it was a regular cashier, Mom would not use a self-checkout lane.

For a long time, I persisted in using my checkbook for groceries. Once they started scanning my check in their machine and handing it back to me, I realized it was basically acting the same as a debit card, so I made the switch. Now I only use checks for a couple of specific things.

that's what i think Mom should do. whether or not she actually does it is another thing... :)

But as for self checkout lanes, anymore those are as long or longer than waiting in the human checker lane. And I object on principle that I should be my own cashier. I will do it if I only have a few things AND if there are no short regular lines.

Funny, I don’t mind bagging my own things. I do it way better than their lackadaisical employees. (Bananas on the bottom because they are heavier has been my pet peeve for decades.)

a hate shopping period. last night some kid was screaming and i couldn't hear what the lady was saying to me.