WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
At the Fd bank, I found three large packages of beef bones in the trash can. (I always scouring the trash cans when I come in on Mon and Wed afternoons). I simmered them in two different crock pots for over 18 hours, skimmed the liquid fat, and then put the two large bowls of broth in the refrig. Now the fat is hardened, and will be tossed. Then I'll be able to can up some pints of beef broth (or the fancy name of beef bone broth).

Waste not, want not.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Canner full & just starting to vent. 7 qt of the baked beans above. No navy beans, used great northerns, slightly bigger. Trying it. Adjust once tasted in a few days🤷. They'll be eaten!
Curious how these turned out? I want to can some if they met your approval!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They seem to be ready to heat/bake. Little loose but looking like 🤔 in a pan, in oven, bacon on top, will be good. I plan to do just that tomorrow 😋 and will update after. The bean to liquid looks about right to can. Here's a before/after of jars

They may be perfect, or not 😂. But mostly done as far as prep at mealtime. Of course, spices can be adjusted.

IMG_20240406_130303220.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They seem to be ready to heat/bake. Little loose but looking like 🤔 in a pan, in oven, bacon on top, will be good. I plan to do just that tomorrow 😋 and will update after. The bean to liquid looks about right to can. Here's a before/after of jars
Thanks! Can't wait to hear about the taste test!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here ya go -- if you told me these were Bushes home style, I'd believe you! Not to sweet, salty, etc. personally, I'm doing more ☺️. Now, I'm going to add a tablespoon of BBQ sauce to it (or tsp dry) because I like that & doit to bought canned ones. You could add bacon bits to canned mix -- in case no bacon at cooking. I like strips on top when I bake them & didn't today.

I used great northerns. Cooked fine. Bean held shape, soft inside. Navy smaller, might be tiny bit softer. I'm fine with these GN. Could use pinto.

Recipe uses powdered onion, or fresh. I tossed in a couple tbsp chopped dehydrated I wanted to use up. Next, I figure it costs about 60 cent a qt, plus a lid. Much better than $2-3 for store canned.

IMG_20240407_175724103_HDR.jpg

Last edited: