WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today will be....tomato sauce. I have just over a bushell of tomatos. Gonna be a loooooong messy day! LOL I cant waite to get started. ;)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I am assuming black beans are involved ... tell me more! :pop
Here 'tis: Of course, everything gets modified. I use dried beans that I rehydrate, fresh corn off the cob, my own canned peppers, fresh tomatoes, homemade Italian dressing. It is a very flexible recipe. For canning, I just glugged in a bit more vinegar than usual to bring the acidity up to par (at least I hope it is :fl) Enjoy!

Spicy Bean Salsa
1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapeno peppers
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup Italian-style salad dressing
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

In a medium bowl, combine black-eyed peas, black beans, corn, onion, green bell pepper, jalapeno peppers and tomatoes. Season with Italian-style salad dressing and garlic salt; mix well. Cover, and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.

jenlyn9483

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
meandthegals I'm assuming you pressure can this because of the beans? How long? I'm very new to pressure canning and im finally getting a regulator valve for my canner soon so I can get started.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Actually, I'm considering it pickled because of the sauce and just steam canned them. I did this last year with 3-bean salad (same type of dressing, basically) and it worked fine. I am not advocating it as completely okey-dokey, but I'm fine with it ;) And, as mentioned above, I did add extra vinegar to be extra sure.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Spaghetti sauce, The recipe I found for waterbath canning spag sauce (basic) the herbs they used in the amounts they used made no real impact to the flavour, so I had to adjust for my tastes -_-

Apple sauce and canned apples when Grills orchard has some crispins!

Does anyone else puree their tomatoes for tomato sauce? I hate whole tomato in my spaghetti, so I puree instead.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I frequently puree my tomatoes, skin and all for tomato sauce. I like tomato sauce smooth as well as chunky, so I make it different ways.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I don't puree, but by the time it comes out of the crockpot there are no large pieces left.

I use lots of garlic and herbs in mine too. Way more than the recipes call for. ;)

Thanks for the recipe me&thegals!