WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hmm... canned peanuts sound very interesting! Wish I could try some :)

Well, nuts (pun intended), my peaches are ripe!!! I wanted them to hold off, but they are starting to soften so lots and lots of canned peaches are in my very near future. Gotta get off line and get the family going on what I hope to be a family project, especially since we have a load of beans to can and hope to make peach leathers and dried corn yet today. Maybe a book on tape would get everyone distracted enough to enjoy the job?

me&thegals

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I canned 8 quarts of sliced peaches. My first time using whole fruit. They look great. I hope they taste just as good. :D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Yesterday I prepped the peach sauce, and was too tired to process it, so I did that this morning, along with diced pears. Have beef stew with red wine in the crock pot overnight to can in the morning. And have a huge failure in the other crock pot. Don't know what to do with it. I had a lot of dead ripe bananas, so thought I would try banana sweet potato butter. So far, it's pretty horrible. I doubled the sugar and spices and it still tastes like paste.

Picked up some you pick plums and nectarines during my drive today. Huge and fragrant. Can't wait to decide what to do with them!

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Busy weekend, I only was able to put away three pints of spaghetti sauce last night...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
And have a huge failure in the other crock pot. Don't know what to do with it. I had a lot of dead ripe bananas, so thought I would try banana sweet potato butter. So far, it's pretty horrible. I doubled the sugar and spices and it still tastes like paste.
Maybe you could make some fruit leather out of it? Might concentrate the flavor some.

Or just chuck it....that is ok once in a while, ya know! :D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Don't know what to do with it. I had a lot of dead ripe bananas, so thought I would try banana sweet potato butter. So far, it's pretty horrible. I doubled the sugar and spices and it still tastes like paste.
That is what pigs and chickens are for! It is hard being a city dweller sometimes.

You can still dig a hole in the garden and add to the potassium content of you soil by calling that failure "compost"! ;)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
10 more pints of salsa
froze the juice that drained off the tomatoes

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Or, I could get a head start on the cob oven.

I think it's going to the compost pile. Blech.

At least the wine and beef stew with mushrooms, onions, potatoes and carrots was decent. It bothers me not to thicken things before canning them, but I understand the rationale. I will thicken when serving...but the flavor memory delays my motivation to open the jar.