WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am not canning today. Still trying to catch up on my bread baking. It's so darn hot in my house.

I have a question about the canning rings. How do you store yours? I have a gazillion all over my kitchen. Which is a good sign about how much I have canned. But they are in the way. I have seen some leave the rings on and I know others don't.

Should I just load them all in a cardboard box and store until needed? Should they be sealed in zip-locks?

Opinions please?????

g

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Should I just load them all in a cardboard box and store until needed? Should they be sealed in zip-locks?
I leave mine in a large cardboard box. Once my jars are completely cooled and sealed, I always remove the rings so that I can wash my jars thoroughly before storing. Otherwise, a tiny bit of seepage onto the jar leads to molding outside the jar--yuck!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I have one of those large plastic drawer organizers. I put the rings in small boxes to keep some order among them.

DH & I completly disagree on rings on or off after jars have sealed. I say off (I like to squirrel them away). I usually do compromise by putting one back on when I give something away as a gift.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
TanksHill said:
I leave mine in a large cardboard box. Once my jars are completely cooled and sealed, I always remove the rings so that I can wash my jars thoroughly before storing. Otherwise, a tiny bit of seepage onto the jar leads to molding outside the jar--yuck!
We remove the rings, so we can wash around the top and also because they tend to rust more when on the jar. And they can stick on the jar making it hard to open later. We keep them in an old ice cream tub stored in the cellar.

I only leave rings on when gifting the jar for looks or the few times I've mailed jelly.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I made tomato sauce today.

Basil-Garlic Tomato Sauce
FROM BALL PRESERVING

Makes about 7 (16 oz) pints

20 lb tomatoes (about 60 medium)
1 c chopped onion (about 1 large)
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 T olive oil
1/4 c finely minced, fresh basil
Bottled lemon juice
7 (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.

Wash tomatoes; drain. Remove core and blossom ends. Cut into quarters. Set aside.

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until transparent. Add tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Puree tomato mixture in a food processor or blender, working in batches. Strain puree to remove seeds and peel.

Combine tomato puree and basil in large saucepot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until volume is reduced by half, stirring to prevent sticking.

Add 1 T bottled lemon juice to each hot jar. Ladle hot sauce into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.

Process filled jars in a boiling water canner for 35 minutes for pints, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check for seal after 24 hours. Lids should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
32 pints of beef stew (grass-fed!) and more meatloaf: 3 pints and 1 half pint.

I'm pooped. But not done. Spaghetti for supper with yesterday's sauce. Everything sealed, so I am breaking my rule and opening a freshly canned jar. Tomatoes and herbs were from our garden, and I added grass-fed ground beef. Can't wait to try it! I think I will top it with some goat cheddar, just because......yummmmm! :drool

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I always remove the rings and scrub - then rinse the jars down, before labeling (sharpie writing on the flat lid) and storing. It keeps mold away, makes my jars sparkle and if a lid can make it through the bath and rinse - the darned thing is good and sealed!

I have a selection of rings hanging on a big shelf post in my kitchen (a freestanding paper towel holder would work too). These I use over and over until they are damaged, or rusty. Then I pitch them and replace with the extra brand new ones I have stored in ziplock bags in a big canvas tote bag hanging in the basement out of the way. Works for me.

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just finished 4-pints of tomato sauce, all headed for the freezer. I purchased the tomatoes today @ the Farmer's Market. Most of my tomato plants have succumbed to blight :somad
But it sure is yummy! I kept "sampling" just to make sure it tasted right ;)