WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Those look fantastic!
Thanks! They were presliced and relatively dirt free. Pinging has commenced.

You boil them for 5 minutes before putting in jars. I dumped and used fresh boiling water when packing them. The original boiling water had some grit in it.
1/4 tsp salt. 45 minutes @ 10lbs.

The store still has them on sale next week. I think I have enough for now, so I dunno

tripletfeb

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm starting to dehydrate food. Not canning but it's a new adventure for me

Attachments

• IMG_20220327_212407862.jpg
    IMG_20220327_212407862.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 65

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
From the discussion in the Shortages thread...

Consolidated the wish list, also comparing processing times, and potential ready dates of stuff. Over half the items on the list are able to be water bathed.

It's been a while since I did it, but gonna hang out towards the end of the Saturday market to bargain for deals on produce they would just take back and toss. Worked well in the past.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Raw packer on the bone here. At least for legs and thighs. So easy - just stuff as many as you can fit in a jar. Don't have to add any liquid - it'll make it's own. A little salt if you're so inclined and it's ready to can. 75 minutes for pints - 90 minutes for quarts.

I haven't canned breasts - if I did I might (or might not) debone. Somebody here debones first - I think maybe @baymule. If you can them on the bone just be thorough when you debone.

I'll also can backs for the dogs. The bones get soft enough that the dogs can eat them with no health risks.

Reneefolsom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Went to a,auction few weeks ago..won bid of this shelf full alot of good stuff but what I was wanting most is 8 cases of at canning jar brand new. 40.00 for the hole shelf
So since I got extra to add to my jars for canning my garden this year I decided to can up some or my homemade meatballs in white gravey today. Good day to do this since it raining

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I found out that an acquaintance over many yrs, had a fair amount of canning jars in a shed - of sorts 😔 - that were trash to her and being broken up by some pot belly pigs! 😳. I asked and she said come get 'em!! I did. 😊. So today I brought home about 8 dz jars. Mostly Ball & Kerr, a few Atlas. Mostly qts with reg mouth. They're all sitting full of water so I can brush scrub and then wash. There were some gallon pickle jars too...I'll use for dry storage. I was happy...so was she! Definite score, IMO!