WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Update -- nothing has been delivered :hu as expected :lol: except replacement credit card with new number. It's fine, my All American is ready to work.

Have about 80-100# of sweet potatoes to deal with. Many will sit fine for couple months but, I'll can a few batches anyway. Almost out of those in pantry. I really prefer them baked :drool. Will bake some candied, to freeze up also. Share some raw -- friends/family -- save some to use for starting slips for the garden. There's a LOT of them 😁:th only bought 2 boxes, farmer gave me 3 more! Was where I bought my tiller.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not surprised about the canner since I have not heard anything either... there were 2 sites that had them cheap so I thought maybe they would be a legit closeout type thing... and I really wanted to get the chamber vacuum sealer they had on that site too.... Oh well, like you, will contact the cc and have them cancel card and call it fraud... I have 1 card I only use for some of the online stuff in case it is not legit....
Got a text from another cc that there was a charge and did I make it... answered no... they froze it... sending me a new card... put in fraud claim... had that cc for many years...
SO MUCH FRAUD nowadays...

Guess I will order it on Amazon and try it... I have a bunch of stuff in the freezer like some broth and such... plus when I make a batch of split pea soup would be nice to just can it and then open when I want... easier to find on the shelf in the cabinet than to go digging through freezer... still like my green beans and some other vegs frozen though.. and I want to try canning some of these potatoes since I will not get them all eaten and will save some for seed potatoes this coming year... to have for a "backup" if things continue to get iffy in this world economy... I plan to at least eat when the world is falling down around our ears...

That was a great windfall @Mini Horses ... and canned food keeps for years and if you grow some and can sell at the farmer's market... you still have an easy backup on the shelf to eat. I like them mashed like regular potatoes.. and they are better for you than white potatoes too... You ought to have better growing climate down there for them than me... longer growing season and maybe better/sandier type soil? I know they grow here although last year with it so cold for so long in the spring they may not have made much but the white potatoes did good overall..

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
4291B7E4-937D-4999-8039-26437A19483B.jpeg

Here’s the beef broth. Cooked it Friday, canned it Saturday. I actually canned some of it in the GoWISE because I didn’t want to wait around to run two batches through the Presto. The GoWISE is a 12 quart, and I was able to fit 4 quart jars and the half pint jar in it.

2 of the pint jars didn’t ping, so they are in the fridge waiting to become soup for tonight’s dinner.

My stash of canning jars is running low. I hate to pay more than a dollar for a jar, so I will have to start scouting the local Goodwills. Some of them are charging more for jars now, but some of them will still have lower prices on them. Just depends on which goodwill I go to. I can think of at least 6 off hand that are pretty close. Will definitely be looking at garage sales this year.

Oh, and while I’m here, have any of you who own the Presto ever ran into a glitch where it didn’t stop venting after the 10 minutes was up? That happened last night. I kept waiting and waiting for it to stop letting out steam and start the processing countdown. After like half an hour I realized something was wrong. Checked the troubleshooting part of the instruction manual, and the only thing it said about the situation was that the lever must be pointed at vent instead of can. Well mine was pointed at can. I flicked it back and forth a couple times to see if it would “take”, but it still didn’t.

I ended up canceling the program, waiting for what pressure it had built up to depressurize, and starting over. I couldn’t find any issue that might have caused the problem, and it worked fine when I restarted it. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I have an email in to Presto asking what could have happened. Will be interesting to see what they write back.

@tripletfeb I will try kosher salt next time something needs it. Mostly so far I have been getting away with no salt at all. I did use pink Himalayan salt in the potatoes I did. Didn’t seem to cause an issue. I saw canning salt at Walmart, but it was a bigger bag than I cared to own. Although I will pick one up if I decide it’s necessary. It wasn’t expensive.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bay, your tomatoes are awesome to see!

I picked my first grape tomatoes this AM....while not as huge, they were first homegrowns in 4 yrs, so I am thrilled. Lots more on the vines. I carried them inside to take a pic for remembering....promptly ate them!

I cropped the pic to make them look bigger :cool: :lol:
0713171046.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a smart man right there! ;)

Yes indeed he was... I miss sitting & talking with him... But he's in a much better place now and lived a long and happy life... He was the wisest man I've ever known. Everyone needs a wise man or woman friend in their life. Older people are so full of wisdom and even more willing to share it. All you have to do is just listen and learn, take a true interest and be a friend.

I have a buddy up the road who is quite old and also very wise. He likes to wood work the same as I do. He came by when we first moved in wanting to buy a bunch of maple wood that I just so happened to have. But that little voice inside me said "don't charge him, give him what he wants" so I did just that and he has repaid me many times over not in money but in wisdom and food. He has grape vines and pear trees which he gladly shares with us. I.like to spend hours just sitting and talking with him and help him with things he needs done. He's so full of wisdom and I try and suck it up like a sponge and be someone who he can trust and depend on.

Last edited:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Got 6 more qts. of soup out of the crop, for a total of 11 qts. and 22 pts. Better than I put up last year, though I used some of the tomatoes last year for salsa. Pretty pitiful compared to how many we used to be able to grow and put up on the same space. Just been bad tomato years these past few.

I've decided I'm going to put a wide shelf across one wall of the pantry, up high over the door, to hold all our various counter top appliances, large kettles, pans and sundry so I can free up the shelves on which they currently reside for holding canned goods.

I'll buy some shelf brackets this next Tuesday and an appropriate board for it. Needs to happen...NOW. Got to find a place for the canned meats and broths that are coming.

Latest posts