WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Canning CX birds today....got a late start, so it will likely take most of the day. Will do some housecleaning while waiting for things to can up. Always a nice time to get caught up on all those little things one doesn't get to in this season of outside work.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had to ask a couple of co-workers for Rhubarb, gah! When the roofers redid the garge roof, they pretty much smashed my rhubarb to bits. I think it will come back, eventually...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That rhubarb should come back fine. Grandmas patch lasted years.

This morning I did a little (three 1/2 pints) batch of elderberry juice to get it out of the way. This was "left over" that wouldn't fit into the larger jars 2 days ago. Now I'm caught up with it.:D Of course, there's more ripening every day :lol: may grab just a few more. I'm at slightly over 1 gal of pure juice. Prob enough -- depends on my time available. After all, soon there will be no more until next year. Why run short for free berries and a LOT of work. Free is good :old

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
13 qts of CX canned up today, 2 qts of dog food(necks and organs)and one bird frozen for roasting later. Five qts of stock canned with about 10 more in the fridge left to can tomorrow evening. Package of gizzards in the fridge for my brother and his wife...they love gizzards!

I have a dearth of yellow squash right now, so tried adding some to the stock this time....added another dimension to the flavor that I really like.

Got 4 NH cockerels trussed tonight in ready for butchering in the morning at first light. Those will not be canned but will be split in half, marinated and grilled for a family do this weekend.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had to ask a couple of co-workers for Rhubarb, gah! When the roofers redid the garge roof, they pretty much smashed my rhubarb to bits. I think it will come back, eventually...

If you want to increase your holdings of rhubarb, it would be a good thing to dig and divide, since it's been mowed down anyways.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not canning, but we don't have a freezing thread.

I smoked up some pork baby back ribs and 18 pounds of beef tri tip. Sealed in vacuum bags and froze.

Hubby wants more of the tri tips. Sliced it makes great sandwiches. I think just sliced with potatoes and gravy is great.

He took some for lunch and shared it around bragging. Almost volunteered me to make some for coworkers.