WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It looks great. Don't think I could do something that cool!

thank you! :) i am happy with the results too. considering the family business of doing tile work and other things (commercial) and my teen years working for them hauling stuff i never actually did any of my own tile work before. my brother said he'd hire me. i pulled a tendon in my arm doing it and barely finished.

the objective was to get that shed finished so the mice could no longer crawl in the walls (and from there get into the walls of the garage or the house). when we got done with it we decided that it looked too nice to put shelves back up so we switched from using the garage as fabric storage for Mom's quilting projects to using the shed so we can just stack big boxes in there. and it also made getting at the tools for gardening and storage of a lot of things to just keep them in the garage. that also helped us get rid of a lot of junk we had stuffed in the back shelves of the shed we'd never get to or used. out it went. :)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I finally made the Banana Butter from page 2 of this thread that was posted by @coopy.
I thought I had messed it up because I used my immersion blender instead of a potato masher for the bananas and it seemed really thin. But, it thickened up nicely as it cooked. I tasted it as it was warming up it was fantastic!! Then I remembered the diced Marachino Cherries (I had them chopped and in a baggie in the fridge) so I added them. The mixture turned a not so wonderful pink, but it was boiling hot and I didn't taste it again. I will try it tonight, and since I love anything cherry I think it will acceptable - and who knows, it may even be better with the cherries.
I think next time I make it, I may leave out the cherries - because it was that good without.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The funny thing about the Banana Butter was that I bought the bananas a couple of days ago and told my husband that they were for a recipe I wanted to try. Since I had bought over 5 pounds of bananas, I told him I would have extra so he could eat "a couple". I had to run to the store last night for sugar and had to buy another 2 pounds of bananas to have enough for the recipe, lol. He told me he loves bananas, but I didn't realize how much he liked them. I told him I was making Banana Butter and he said yuck. I don't think he will even try it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lol, we eat bananas here quite a bit, Mom hates banana bread, i like bananas only when they are yellow and spotted, i don't like them if they are green at all, i really like them with peanut butter on them. :)

i would try banana butter, cherries or not. does this mean i'm not a man?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I also only like ripe bananas for just eating. The green tinted unripe ones are for frying and are good that way.

I'll have to go back and look at the banana butter recipe. My hubby would happily try that. I bet it would be good on pancakes.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I also only like ripe bananas for just eating. The green tinted unripe ones are for frying and are good that way.

I'll have to go back and look at the banana butter recipe. My hubby would happily try that. I bet it would be good on pancakes.

or, banana butter on banana's or a banana split... hmm...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like them to be fully brown before I use in banana bread. That's what Mom and Grandma taught me. Gives it the best banana flavor. I always get compliments about that when I make it for hubby to take places.

It seems most people don't know that ripe bananas have spots?

Latest posts