frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Carrots!
AEF1FF98-65D6-4A99-9AC1-6DE03B1C84D3.jpeg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love cooked carrots. Always put extra in soups and along side a roast. YUM!

YES, banana bread needs those brown skinned bananas!! LOL Best eating bananas I've ever had were those we got fully tree ripened when we lived in Cuba. Wow, like any vine/tree ripened fruit or veggie -- just outstanding flavor.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Canned 7 pounds of corned beef. The official "experts" have not officially tested this, so I can't guarantee it's safe, so we will boil it for an additional 15 minutes when we open the cans up to eat. I gave it 100 minutes at 13 lbs pressure (we are over 4000 ft above sea level here). I used quart jars because the pint jars were a bit too small to fit a 1 lb chunk of meat and still have enough head room. I didn't use the spice packets because I was afraid the spices would give an 'off' taste after canning. Has anyone else ever canned corned beef, and did it come out ok?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
8unasBC1QXKwvot5i%gmPA.jpg

3 qts. of deboned chicken
4 qts. of broth

I had a froze some roosters last year, and canned them up on Saturday as I clean out the freezer. Tomorrow, I am canning four large beef roasts.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
eW%TaAaDRuitx25HM7I58g.jpg

I have three seasoned beef roasts in the oven on 250 right now. I put each cut in a dish with salt, pepper, and onion powder with 2 cups of water. They're covered in aluminum foil. I'm canning them this evening. I am anxious to see how they turn out.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You don't need to pre-cook them before canning, but I bet they turn out great.
I like to sear the outside of the meat before canning, but that is all. It always turns out tender.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
You don't need to pre-cook them before canning, but I bet they turn out great.
I like to sear the outside of the meat before canning, but that is all. It always turns out tender.
I never cook meat through all the way, but I always hot pack meat. I think it looks better at the end, and I have heard it is better with moisture.

Latest posts