WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have about 50 pounds of pinto beans in storage - sealed with oxygen absorbers. They should keep just fine for 20 years. but I am going to start canning some of them so they are ready to go when I want to have them for supper.

I come from a family that only ever eats baked beans and ham. That is the only recipe that I have for beans, it is delicious, but fattening. I am only wiling to go off diet so badly a couple times a year.

Edited: I asked for recipes, but I am going to make a new thread for BEAN RECIPES. Please post your recipes that use home canned beans there for me.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I froze things -- cooked up onion & squash in bacon drippings, froze 4 qts, ready to heat & eat. Then, another 4 qts sliced and blanched plain squash. Nothing ready for canning right now. ;) It's hot but, I'm really wanting to can! Everything here & waiting. Just want to "see" the things preserved and waiting to be eaten. I love to see those full jars!

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes, as they get older they can take a longer time to cook but that doesn't bother me, it just is how they are. they don't taste bad when cooked.
I don't have time to cook them all day long. I had some on the stove for 8 hours and they were still crunchy. I like them canned better. Already cooked and heated up in minutes. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't have time to cook them all day long. I had some on the stove for 8 hours and they were still crunchy. I like them canned better. Already cooked and heated up in minutes. :)

i've never had beans go that long. 3hrs max is all i've had happen, but these are known firm beans to me so they remain firm, but i don't consider that crunchy. hard water, salt, etc. can influence things but i don't cook with salt or hard water so i can't say how much.

pressure cooking reduces time but we don't have a pressure cooker and i don't mind cooking beans at a simmer because once they are going i just check them every half hour and give them a stir. i'm randomly busy and there isn't a problem if i don't cook a pot of beans one day vs. another.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I canned jalapeños, 2 jars just sliced jalapeños, 3 jars with carrots and onions, 3 jars with carrots and onions plus dill seeds. I unloaded the dehydrator and vacuum sealed more cantaloupe jerky, reloaded 8 trays with tomatoes. Put some eggplant in the freezer.

I have tiny baby Purple Hull peas!!!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have some Jalapenos that are producing well and were NOT planned. Obviously 2 of the plants in one of the six packs of sweet peppers were these. They all look alike as young plants! Plan to dehydrate a few for seasoning later. Haven't cut one yet. These 4 looking at me from the counter are first in line. :D I actually like stuffed ones if not real hot type. My squash are overachievers!

Garden is suffering from lack of care & heat right now. Hope I can get out there late day.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If your peppers are too hot, slice long ways, scoop out seeds and soakin cold water in refrigerator overnight. It takes the heat out. If it takes out too much heat, add one that hasn’t been soaked.

I picked a few green beans, 2 jars worth. What the heck, I canned them. I put some dill seed in them just because.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Bay!! They are & I will do this. Those rascals are fiery!!!!!! Generally I can smell the heat but, these don't seem to emit the odor -- one touch to my tongue confirmed, HOT. Sure are pretty tho.:D

Picked my first eggplant today. Ate it for dinner....eggplant parm and a couple meatballs. Didn't bread it...just sauted in olive oil, some garlic, then into dish with sauce, etc. Even MW....just no browned cheese on top. Fresh is sooooo good. A few tomatoes are turning. This heat is really taking a toll. Watered tonight, will do more very early in AM.

AND-- another 30# of yellow squash & zucs. :thWhat??

Last edited: