WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll mention this -- for any out there who may not already can their dry beans........it was MY first time....if yours, hope this helps.

@Chic Rustler posted he used 2/3 cup dry in a pint. I can say that it LOOKS so little but, it is perfect. In fact, don't even round the measurement up. They expand to a real full pint, in fact, I almost think a few beans less & more water. After they came from canner, sat all night, they are cooked and actually don't "move", that is the liquid has thickened (as bean will do) . Both kidney & great northerns. So I had worked the soaked with kidney & used about 2/3 of a jar beans, add water., The GN dry (just rinsed to clean first) was 2/3 cup dry beans, add more water. Both came out the same........dry was faster prep and less work. :D

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'll mention this -- for any out there who may not already can their dry beans........it was MY first time....if yours, hope this helps.

@Chic Rustler posted he used 2/3 cup dry in a pint. I can say that it LOOKS so little but, it is perfect. In fact, don't even round the measurement up. They expand to a real full pint, in fact, I almost think a few beans less & more water. After they came from canner, sat all night, they are cooked and actually don't "move", that is the liquid has thickened (as bean will do) . Both kidney & great northerns. So I had worked the soaked with kidney & used about 2/3 of a jar beans, add water., The GN dry (just rinsed to clean first) was 2/3 cup dry beans, add more water. Both came out the same........dry was faster prep and less work. :D
awesome!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
did 7 qts & 5 pts tomatoes since starting at 1:30 this AM when power came back.

Have tomatoes cooking down now for sauce to can in a while. Then another 2 bushel to go! Will be working up about 30 eggplant to bread & fry for eggplant parm for freezer, AND some cantaloupe to slice and get into dehydrator. Busy day.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
18 half pints of pizza sauce
1 pt of juice (I run all the remains back through the food mill)

Working to can the remaining tomatoes now. It looks like the beans will be a flop unless this rain revives them. We will still have some more tomatoes, but the biggest harvest is done now. I am thinking another batch of spaghetti sauce, salsa, and then can the remainder.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:thI may never want to see another tomato!!!! :D Right now -- I'm thinking -- do I really need all this? Will I eat all this? REALLY??

Yes, this is a busy time for all canners. Like 2AM I got to bed, barely. And those tomatoes are just staring at me! OK, today the rest get put into jars and I will thank God for the food -- and especially for being done! ;)

Still milking one goat. While I have never canned milk, I do have some instructions. Now my understanding is that it tastes like the canned milk many use (in years past anyway) for coffee and cooking. While I have all this going on, I plan to try a couple jars. I'll open one in just a day or two for tasting. Then decide if I want more of it, while the supply is overwhelming! But, this gal will milk until about March, so fresh it is. It's more an experiment than anything.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't usually bother trying to grow tomatoes here because of our weather. They always get blight on me. So I have to buy tomato sauce. I've noticed the canned veggie section at the store is greatly reduced. Several months ago the section was well over 20 feet long. Now it's about 12 feet and is mostly corn. The tomato section is one bay smaller as well and sauce is hard to find.

That is reason enough for people to get canning if I ever saw one.

Latest posts