WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
more tomatoes. i have two buckets of ones that will need rescue/surgery (to see if they're worth doing anything with) to work on this evening and then we'll have three more buckets to put up tomorrow that are ready. we have more buckets on the table that will have to be done later this week or given away.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
came out to 12 quarts worth, which was a little less than a regular amount i would get from two buckets of unblemished tomatoes, but i did have to discard chunks of a few and a few other tomatoes entirely including one that would have been close to a full quart just itself if it hadn't got a mess of rot right through the middle. ah well, win some, lose some... :) just waiting for them to finish up processing and then i can call it a night.

night John Boy!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we got the other three buckets done Monday morning and that came out to 24 more quarts of chunks (plus a pint). i'm hoping that is it for tomatoes this season but perhaps we'll do one more batch. we're now well stocked up for a year and Mom says perhaps two, but i think she forgets how many she tends to give away to anyone who asks. haha... :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Since my last post, I have finished up all of the tomatoes, and I have been canning free green beans. I think I got roughly 30 quarts and then I did 17 pints of black beans. I have more dry beans, squash, and broth to do next.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well i was hoping we were done, but this morning Mom brought in three more buckets from the garage. i'm in the middle of trying to get some room back here for the next round of dry bean picking so i'm shelling beans as much as i can get done. so i told her that she'd have to do the canning today - then a few minutes later i offered to dunk them for her as long as she'd cut them up. then later i heated them up and did quality control (looking for things she missed as her eyes aren't the best) and put them in jars and then have been sealing them up. put the last six quarts in to seal up a few minutes ago. we did finally find some lids.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Hinotori -- same here. Waste not, want not. I render lard from a butcher.

@frustratedearthmother -- black beans, always good with tex/mex. Makes a good addition to salsa if paired right! I recently dumped some in a stuffing mix for green peppers -- with corn & other things. They are nutritious. I like them with garlic roasted eggplant.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Hinotori -- same here. Waste not, want not. I render lard from a butcher.

@frustratedearthmother -- black beans, always good with tex/mex. Makes a good addition to salsa if paired right! I recently dumped some in a stuffing mix for green peppers -- with corn & other things. They are nutritious. I like them with garlic roasted eggplant.
Garlic roasted eggplant? Recipe please?