WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Garlic roasted eggplant? Recipe please?

:lol: Surely you jest. It's just tossed together. Like when you have toooo many zucs.....create. Actually those hidden until too big zucs can be sliced into thin strips, filled like a lasagna noodle with cheeses add tomato sause and bake as if it were that. I degress.........

Cooked black beans. I either oil some eggplant, add crushed garlic and bake slow in a pan......or I've even sauted....throw in the beans to heat thru, then some cheese & dollop of sour cream on side. I add some seasoning depending on what else I'm eating.
I've used Italian sausage, some tomato chunks. Chorizo sausage, cheese, sour cream & so on. Throw in whatever leftover you have and go for it. Can eat meatless, too.

Use as a filler in taco shells, wraps, over rice....alone as a dip if you mash the beans & eggplant.

Bumper crop of eggplants one year. 😁

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love the "throw it together" meals. DH, not so much. He is a picky eater but he won't admit to it.

I bought some "Fresh" tortellini from the refrigerator section of the grocery store. I told him I was going to make his Aunts Italian Pasta Salad recipe with it. He says "you are supposed to use dried tortellini for that. and mix up the dressing according to her directions and let it soak for 24 hours. If you don't use the dried tortellini it won't soak up the dressing like it is supposed to." Really? I cook the dried tortellini so it really won't absorb any more dressing than the fresh stuff, which is not cooked as long - because it is fresh!
But from his tone, I know he has made up his mind and if it ain't made exactly like the recipe it won't be any good so he won't eat it.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Question for my fellow canners:

I have a recipe for a Chicken & Sausage Gumbo that we like; however, the huge potful that it makes way too much for 2 people to enjoy. I would like to make a batch and pressure can it in quart jars for quick suppers this winter.

If I use the directions for pressure canning the longest cooking ingredient (the chicken I believe), do you think it will be safe to eat? and do I put the gumbo file in before canning, or wait until I heat it up.

I will not be adding the roux before canning. It will be thickened when i heat it up to eat.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love the "throw it together" meals. DH, not so much. He is a picky eater but he won't admit to it.

I bought some "Fresh" tortellini from the refrigerator section of the grocery store. I told him I was going to make his Aunts Italian Pasta Salad recipe with it. He says "you are supposed to use dried tortellini for that. and mix up the dressing according to her directions and let it soak for 24 hours. If you don't use the dried tortellini it won't soak up the dressing like it is supposed to." Really? I cook the dried tortellini so it really won't absorb any more dressing than the fresh stuff, which is not cooked as long - because it is fresh!
But from his tone, I know he has made up his mind and if it ain't made exactly like the recipe it won't be any good so he won't eat it.
That means more for YOU!!
@wyoDreamer I would wait and add the file powder at serving time. Leaf-type seasonings are usually added toward the end of cooking time so the volatile oils don't disappear. I know they won't disappear from a sealed jar, but they might turn bitter? Adding the roux at the end is also a better idea, although the really dark brown roux doesn't have much thickening power, it still might cause a problem that you can easily avoid.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It should be just fine with the way you suggest.

I'd wait on the file. Some herbs get strange tasting with canning. I also don't know if the long heat would break down it's thickening or if the thickening would interfere with heat transfer.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for answering!
You guys are quick too! love ya all!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score