WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Canning is my thing in the relationship. She readily admits it. ;)

:) nothing wrong with that. i also do most of the canning here too. and no complaints from me, we have it worked out that she will go out and pick and then i will come out and help her put things in buckets or carry them up to the house. Mom will sometimes help me clean up/prep the tomatoes but after that because of her eye sight not being the best i have to do quality control anyways so as i am heating them up i'm also checking for whatever has been missed. then i fill the jars and finish sealing them. it is a good system and it works for us so i have no complaints. i'm however, looking forwards to not doing quite so many this coming season. 300 quarts was a bit more than i initially planned and we had to scramble to find jars/lids for the last 130 quarts.

however, that all said we are really enjoying them now. no extra salt, just tomatoes and tomato juice, packed and sealed in glass. IMO there's just nothing better and we use a lot of these for simple macaroni and tomato juice or tomato chunks where the flavor of the tomatoes is the main star. added salt may come via butter.

ok, i'll stop raving here, but, ok, yeah, i'm a happy camper here in the middle of winter and having not run out yet like we did last season.

we do have calcium and iron in our well water, it turns the jars a bit brown eventually, some chemicals will remove that if wanted, we don't care much. no problem with getting a coating of calcium because when we wash and then dry them that wipes it off and we oven can so there's no 2nd round of water other than washing the jars to begin with.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1610558211647.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Anyone can soup with cabbage in it?

I have read that you should only can soup that contains ingredients that can be safely canned by itself. Cabbage can be canned safely as sourkraut (after fermentation), but shouldn't be canned by itself.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I see no reason why you can't pressure can cabbage. I might wonder if it would maybe taste super strong if canned... but I have no experience to back that up. Check out Rebel Canners. @Beekissed should be able to answer your soup question. She cans soups all the time.