WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BF3E506A-41CC-4E80-A15C-B2D91C01BB1B.jpeg

A0A6052D-1E5D-41F1-9C5E-6D2D87CC10BA.jpeg

First batch in my Presto, 5 quarts of chicken broth from my freezer.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Update -- nothing has been delivered :hu as expected :lol: except replacement credit card with new number. It's fine, my All American is ready to work.

Have about 80-100# of sweet potatoes to deal with. Many will sit fine for couple months but, I'll can a few batches anyway. Almost out of those in pantry. I really prefer them baked :drool. Will bake some candied, to freeze up also. Share some raw -- friends/family -- save some to use for starting slips for the garden. There's a LOT of them 😁:th only bought 2 boxes, farmer gave me 3 more! Was where I bought my tiller.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not surprised about the canner since I have not heard anything either... there were 2 sites that had them cheap so I thought maybe they would be a legit closeout type thing... and I really wanted to get the chamber vacuum sealer they had on that site too.... Oh well, like you, will contact the cc and have them cancel card and call it fraud... I have 1 card I only use for some of the online stuff in case it is not legit....
Got a text from another cc that there was a charge and did I make it... answered no... they froze it... sending me a new card... put in fraud claim... had that cc for many years...
SO MUCH FRAUD nowadays...

Guess I will order it on Amazon and try it... I have a bunch of stuff in the freezer like some broth and such... plus when I make a batch of split pea soup would be nice to just can it and then open when I want... easier to find on the shelf in the cabinet than to go digging through freezer... still like my green beans and some other vegs frozen though.. and I want to try canning some of these potatoes since I will not get them all eaten and will save some for seed potatoes this coming year... to have for a "backup" if things continue to get iffy in this world economy... I plan to at least eat when the world is falling down around our ears...

That was a great windfall @Mini Horses ... and canned food keeps for years and if you grow some and can sell at the farmer's market... you still have an easy backup on the shelf to eat. I like them mashed like regular potatoes.. and they are better for you than white potatoes too... You ought to have better growing climate down there for them than me... longer growing season and maybe better/sandier type soil? I know they grow here although last year with it so cold for so long in the spring they may not have made much but the white potatoes did good overall..

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Mushrooms turned out well.

Have ingredients to make beef stew. Wife is excited to try the new canner on single batches of soups. She's going to do pints, since we found it hard to eat up a whole quart with just the two of us.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ooooh....mushrooms in beef stew is good! Actually, I can make a meal on just sauted rooms! 😁 I do a lot of pints since only me to eat most times.

No job assignments, cold weather, I'll can some this week. 👍. This time of year the extra heat is welcome 🤣

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I also consider sauteed mushrooms a "vegetable" and can make a meal on them....
Looks like no farms to test this week, but we do have a vet coming for preg checks on about 30 cows tomorrow... got a bunch moved from the one pasture today, and the others there just have to come across the driveway out of the field to the barn lot...