WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dace,
I know I must have read the directions step by step 10 times, I still am, but better safe than sorry.

There's a kidney bean thread around that talks about cooking vs not cooking. I am going to try to soak but no cook method. I don't like mushy beans.

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace said:
Questions....

When canning the dry beans, you just soak them over night first?

I can't seem to find the creamed soup recipes...can someone point me in the right direction?

Tanks, your beans are beautiful! I was a wreck on my first go with the pressure canner. I am glad it all turned out so well for you!
I soak them overnight and then I sit them in the pot on the oven and heat them until the water is HOT!!! Then I put them into hot jars, add liquid, then can'em. That simple :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Dace said:
Questions....

When canning the dry beans, you just soak them over night first?

I can't seem to find the creamed soup recipes...can someone point me in the right direction?

Tanks, your beans are beautiful! I was a wreck on my first go with the pressure canner. I am glad it all turned out so well for you!
Dace, if you have access to fresh whey (do you strain yogurt to make yogurt cheese? or kefir?) then add a glorp to the soak water. If you soak for 24 hours with live culture whey, and discard the soaking water, the beans will be much more digestible and less gas-producing. A little ACV, raw if possible, will do, but whey is better because of the lactic acid-producing bacteria. Neutralizes the digestion/germination inhibitors that are in all seeds.

Very important if you have a SO or DH..... :p

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Pickled asparagus with fresh asparagus, dill and green garlic, and pickled green garlic :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have not canned any veggies instead in the past two days I have froze several dinners worth of carrots and beans. I did a taste test with the family and the frozen veggies won. Yes, I know canning is more SS but I am saving that for tom products, jams, pickles etc...
:D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I have not canned any veggies instead in the past two days I have froze several dinners worth of carrots and beans. I did a taste test with the family and the frozen veggies won. Yes, I know canning is more SS but I am saving that for tom products, jams, pickles etc...
:D
I ditto this. I freeze my veggies, and save canning for tomatoes--sauce salsa etc, and jams and jellies.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Me 3 :D I can salsa, tomatoes, applesauce, peaches, some pickled things, some jams, but almost everything else gets frozen for flavor and nutrients.