WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Acre of Blessings said:
freemotion said:
Can I have your recipe for Beep Soup? ;) :D

You got up at 4:30 to can? :ep :bow
O.K. here goes..... for sufficient canning I use 1 cup each variety.

Pinto
Great Northern
Black Beans
Lite Red Kidney
Large Limas
Small Limas
Blackeyes
Garbonzas
Navy
Green Split (peas)
Yellow Split (peas)
Lentils

You can also add any other bean that you like to this list. ;)

When I can them, I have chunck of cooked ham to stick in the beans. What I do is put a couple scoops of beans in the jar and then add a chunk of hot cooked ham and then fill it the rest of the way and then add the hot liquid. It is so good. I don't add salt as it's already in the ham.

Happy Bean Soup Canning!!!! :weee
I don't know how I missed this, acre, thank you! I just copy/pasted it to my files and will make it soon. I must've been busy and distracted, I am so glad I was looking for something and found your bean hints and recipes!!!! Smooches!

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Your welcome freemotion!!!

Schooling 2 kids and 1 graduating

Been very busy around here. I have the graduation to get ready for by next Sunday. I have a menu to get together for this, that goodness I already have the BBQ canned. I have canned some strawberry jam that turned out to be delicious.

I have had to quilt block swap I have been working on and I also have 2 "quilt block of the month" swaps that I have to stay on top of.

Our garden is doing great, the rain seems to come at just the right time, Praise be to God. We are getting a few strawberries and they are packed with flavor.

If any of you need a recipe for canning just about anything, just drop me an e-mail and I'll get it to you a quickly as possible. :)

Have a wonderful day everyone.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I managed to pick a whole bowl of green and wax beans yesterday. It's amazing what one little 4 x 8 foot box can produce. Anyways, I cleaned them up and had them canned within about two hours of picking. Only made 6 pints but better than nothing. I only need to do this about 10 more times. :D
333_img_5036_1.jpg

333_img_4967_1.jpg

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I managed to pick a whole bowl of green and wax beans yesterday. It's amazing what one little 4 x 8 foot box can produce. Anyways, I cleaned them up and had them canned within about two hours of picking. Only made 6 pints but better than nothing. I only need to do this about 10 more times. :D
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/333_img_5036_1.jpg
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/333_img_4967_1.jpg
Wow, that's wondrous!!! I'm only just planting my beans today!!! I WILL be canning later today though. I need to can some more cream of chicken and mushroom soup as we're out again. Oh, and Greg took the chickens to be butchered so we'll be making the backs into stock this weekend and I'll probably can and freeze that.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow, Tanks, you are officially a canning fool! :lol: Welcome to the club!!!

Farmerlor, your home-canned creamed soups are just so wonderful. I thank you every time I open a jar. I gave some to my mom and she RAVED about it (mushroom) and she is a marvelous cook, so that is a very high compliment to both of us. :cool:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes Free, I have officially conquered the canner fear. Now every time I take a can from the pantry I think "I could make this". I think Fri night will be my official canning night. (yes I have no social life) Shop or harvest the garden in the day, prepare whatever it is while I am making dinner then pressure can while doing the clean up. Dh and kids usually do movie and stay up late on Fri. So it works out pretty good.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Wow, Tanks, you are officially a canning fool! :lol: Welcome to the club!!!

Farmerlor, your home-canned creamed soups are just so wonderful. I thank you every time I open a jar. I gave some to my mom and she RAVED about it (mushroom) and she is a marvelous cook, so that is a very high compliment to both of us. :cool:
Oh, I'm so glad you enjoy it. Everytime I walk past the soup aisle and see how expensive creamed soups have gotten I'm so glad that I learned to do this. That soup is the reason my family RUNS to the table for tuna casserole.....either that or they're really, really weird.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Questions....

When canning the dry beans, you just soak them over night first?

I can't seem to find the creamed soup recipes...can someone point me in the right direction?

Tanks, your beans are beautiful! I was a wreck on my first go with the pressure canner. I am glad it all turned out so well for you!