WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The key is, you know how to do it, so you could switch over if needed. But if you didn't have the electricity to run a freezer, you'd be canning over a fire.....eek! I can't imagine trying to regulate a pressure canner on a wood fire! Root cellar for me, and pickle everything else in ferments, also stored in the root cellar, uncanned and in crocks......If need be. Love my freezer!

Oh, and don't forget dehydrating.....I will be learning this method thoroughly this year, too! Beyond herbs, that is....

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Plums are on my list, jelly! My mechanic has a little tiny tree that is loaded with tuny sweet/sour plums. No idea what variety it is, but he said I could have all I want :ya

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your right Free, I have no fear of the canner now.

I was doing some dehydrating. I did 2 batches of diced onions. They turned our great. Oh and also some red potatoes. Scalloped style. I have not used them yet but I will.

Acre, would you like to share your Zucc Relish Recipe? I have zucchini's coming out my ears.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's funny Free.

That recipe is almost the same as my pickled zucchini. We slice , soak, add sugar, vinegar, mustard seeds, the turmeric and a bay leaf. We soak as well with salt. Everyone just loves it. I will definitely have to try this one. Yum!!!

Thanks!:D

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I canned 6 pints of watermelon rind pickles today and am waiting for strawberries, mulberries, and raspberries to ripen so I can get jamming!

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks free for finding it......I'll post it for those that don't go to BYC

Zucchini Relish
Yield: 5 cups

5 cups grated zucchini
2 cups grated onions
2 tablespoons salt
1 cup diced green pepper
1 cup diced red pepper
2-1/4 cups water
1-1/4 cups white vinegar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery salt

Place zucchini, onions and salt in a large bowl. Mix well and cover. Refrigerate overnight. The next day, place mixture in a fine strainer. Drain well, rinse under cold water and drain again for one hour. Place mixture in a heavy pot and add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Sterilize jars (I use half-pints). Fill with relish, seal and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Hope you enjoy it

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Also.....today I am canning Squash Relish.....alll you do different is use Squash instead of Zuchinni. I love the fact that I won't have these veggies going to waste, I hope to sell our extras :)

Try it. :drool its yummy too

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
were snapping today and canning tomorrow, our neighbor who i sharecrop with has magic dirt and the snake beans are in with a vengeance, he brought in 5 bushel for him self and i got a wheel barrel full plus a couple of buckets, along side a mess of red taters. :p

Latest posts