WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
you are so right i didnt see that smiley but it fits, my ole paw nicknamed me tater when i was young because i'd eat them for every meal if i can i LOVE them any way there cooked, we ended up giving most of the beans to some familys who are out of work so we only canned 39 quarts of snake beans, by the way are snakes bad everywhere this year or just here in the heart of Dixie? there was a rattler killed here the other day with 17 rattles and a button, and there have been many seen this year.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Although using canning jars, I am freezing strawberries!! Sauce and jam. Plus huge gallon bags full of frozen whole berries for smoothies and nonalcoholic daiquiris this winter.

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
At a garage sale today, some folks were selling fresh cukes. I got about 15lbs for $8.00. Here are the results.

This is my second time canning. I made 13 quarts and 9 pints of whole pickles, chunks and slices. I also canned a pint of mixed peppers(banana, jalepeno, and cayenne) that we got free from a nursery a couple of weeks ago. I have to say that canning is fun!!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I made 5 qts of refrigerator pickles....and managed to break a hot jar while I was at it :/

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yes! At least it broke over the pot I was pulling it out of and not on the counter or on the floor!
DS and I got a splatter of hot water on us...enough to make us both jump and realize that it could have been much worse!
Guess I got lucky :)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
24 pints and 23 quarts of green beans. Actually it was yesterday but my internet was down most of the day and I could not post yesterday.

And my brand new canner bottom warped. After 20 years of canning that was a first. The first canning the darn thing started warping. I am furious. Cheap stuff. And all the manufacturer will say is you got it to hot. Ummmm. My old canner made by the same company and having been used for 12 years has never been to hot. I will approach them anyway but I have a pretty good idea how this will go.

Sorry about the jar. Would you believe that so far I have been lucky.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Dehydrating celery today.
Doh!!! Thanks for reminding me--I bought some celery the other day on sale witht the intent to dehydrate it. It's been crazy as usual around here, and I forgot about the celery.

I canned three batches of strawberry jam. and froze ~ 20lb of strawberries for smoothies for the winter. going back tomorrow to picks ome more strawberries for the freezer.

Latest posts