WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:he I have canning envy. I was going to head to the farmers market this morning but never made it.

I need to get out in the garden and see what's ready!!!

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Canned 7 pints of dilly beans. First time ever canning these and they smelled so good. Only setback is ..... We have to wait 2 weeks before we can eat them so the juices and spices can marry.

Gonna pick more beans at 6 am in the morning

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Once I figure this all out... I'll be making strawberry jam...eventually...again, this is my first time canning and man is it complicated! ... I have to go and buy a pressure canner for when we can the tomatoes from the garden. The strawberries are from a local grower, we bought 5 quarts and he threw in 3 extra quarts for free.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
Once I figure this all out... I'll be making strawberry jam...eventually...again, this is my first time canning and man is it complicated! ... I have to go and buy a pressure canner for when we can the tomatoes from the garden.
I don't think you need a pressure canner for tomatoes.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made strawberry jam, 4 236ml jars and 1 large one that i can't remember the size of...

Saturday I'm going to stop by the farmers market and get some goodies to can as well LOL. I'm hooked now.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:
lupinfarm said:
Once I figure this all out... I'll be making strawberry jam...eventually...again, this is my first time canning and man is it complicated! ... I have to go and buy a pressure canner for when we can the tomatoes from the garden.
My book has it under pressure canning because it sits on the fence with acidity, but I think I also found it where you don't need to use a pressure canner in my book. Odd,

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
Dace said:
lupinfarm said:
My book has it under pressure canning because it sits on the fence with acidity, but I think I also found it where you don't need to use a pressure canner in my book. Odd,
Well I am new to canning so I do not proclaim to know! I am sure someone more experienced than us will come along to clarify.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
You *should* be okay with water bath canning. But I think it really depends on if you are using heirloom tomato varieties or new hybrids. Many of the new hybrid tomato varieties are low in acid, so pressure canning may be required.

ETA: If you are using a recipe that calls for pressure canning, do not try to make the recipe with water bath processing, and vice versa.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Here are the two recipes I use most for canning tomatoes. These recipes are from the Ball Preserving website.

Tomatoes Whole, Halved or Quartered Packed in Own Juice
You will need:
2-1/2 to 3-1/2 lb ripe tomatoes (about 8 to 11 medium) per quart
Water
Bottled lemon juice or citric acid
Salt, optional
Glass preserving jars with lids and bands

Directions:
1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.

2.) WASH tomatoes. Dip in boiling water 30 to 60 seconds. Immediately dip in cold water. Slip off skins. Trim away any green areas and cut out core. Leave tomatoes whole or cut into halves or quarters.

3.) ADD 2 Tbsp bottled lemon juice or 1/2 tsp citric acid to each hot quart jar. Add 1 Tbsp bottled lemon juice or 1/4 tsp citric acid to each hot pint jar.

4.) PACK tomatoes in hot jars until space between tomatoes fills with juice leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Add 1 teaspoon salt to each quart jar, 1/2 teaspoon to each pint jar, if desired. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.

5.) PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner 1 hour and 25 minutes for pints and quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Tomatoes Whole, Halved or Quartered (Packed in Water)
You will need:
2-1/2 to 3-1/2 lb ripe tomatoes (about 8 to 11 medium) per quart
Water
Bottled lemon juice or citric acid
Salt, optional
Glass preserving jars with lids and bands

Directions:
1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.

2.) WASH tomatoes. Dip in boiling water 30 to 60 seconds. Immediately dip in cold water. Slip off skins. Trim away any green areas and cut out core. Leave tomatoes whole or cut into halves or quarters.

3.) PREPARE tomatoes according to raw or hot pack recipe.

4.) ADD 2 Tbsp bottled lemon juice or 1/2 tsp citric acid to each hot quart jar. Add 1 Tbsp bottled lemon juice or 1/4 tsp citric acid to each hot pint jar.

5.) PACK tomatoes into hot jars according to raw or hot pack recipe. Add 1 teaspoon salt to each quart jar, 1/2 teaspoon to each pint jar, if desired. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.

6.) PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner 40 minutes for pints and 45 minutes for quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Raw Pack
1.) PACK tomatoes into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace.

2.) LADLE hot water over tomatoes leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Add 1 teaspoon salt to each quart jar, 1/2 teaspoon to each pint jar, if desired.

Hot Pack
1.) PLACE tomatoes in a large saucepot. Add water to cover. Bring to a boil and boil gently 5 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking.

2.) PACK hot tomatoes into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace.

3.) LADLE hot cooking liquid over tomatoes leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Add 1 teaspoon salt to each quart jar, 1/2 teaspoon to each pint jar, if desired.

Latest posts