WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
brainwrk said:
I am new to this canning thing. Please tell me if the wives tale my ex mother in law used to tell me is true. I am going to use code words so please "read between the lines".

During a woman's "cycle" is it ok to can green beans? A friend brought me a five gallon bucket of green beans and I want to can them now but if it's true it will be a week before I can do anything with them.

Can I wear rubber gloves? Is there any way around it?

Thanks in advance for your help with this. I can't imagine letting these beans go to waste.

Ginny
I have always heard that a woman should not be in the garden during that time.....but I haven't heard of them not being able to can.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
brainwrk said:
I am new to this canning thing. Please tell me if the wives tale my ex mother in law used to tell me is true. I am going to use code words so please "read between the lines".

During a woman's "cycle" is it ok to can green beans? A friend brought me a five gallon bucket of green beans and I want to can them now but if it's true it will be a week before I can do anything with them.

Can I wear rubber gloves? Is there any way around it?

Thanks in advance for your help with this. I can't imagine letting these beans go to waste.

Ginny
Ginny, back in the day (the Bible, for example), a woman wasn't allowed to do anything during her time of the month, as she was considered unclean. Some of these things just persist. But I think it is just a carry over from those days. So I would say, enjoy canning those beans! ;)

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We picked 30lbs of cherries today and I canned 6 quarts for pie and made one pie..yumm! Tuesday I plan to make cherry preserves.

theOEGBman

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I enjoy reading all of these posts so much. You all can so much and a lot of these things I did not know existed! I just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to post and share what you're doing with all of us. All I've ever canned before was jam, but I would love to try a lot of the things I've read here.

So far this year I've canned 3 pints of Peach jam and 12 pints of Apricot jam. We'll be making plum jam next month from one tree and then when the other tree ripens, we'll make a batch or 5 from that tree as well!

ETA: My grandma dug up the canner that her mother used when she was a child! She said there were even a few jars in it, so Im very excited about that. I really love learning about family history, and Im sure that thing has plenty of stories in it. I cant wait to sit down and chat with her about it.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I have finally started my canning for Christmas baskets.
this weekend. I made peach, habanero gold, and red wine jelly.
418_100_3685.jpg

418_100_3684.jpg

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Mmmm! Those look great. Would you share the habanero recipe by any chance?? :D Pretty please???

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
HABANERO GOLD
This recipe made seven 4oz. jars.
Next batch I am going to double the ingredients (even though usually not recommended) and not the sure gel as it jelled a lot more than I would like. A softer set works so much better for putting over cream cheese IMO.

Ingredients

* 1/3 cup finely sliced dried apricot
* 3/4 cup white vinegar
* 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
* 1/4 cup finely diced red pepper
* 1/4 cup finely diced habanero pepper, with seeds or finely diced jalapeno, and scotch bonnet peppers combined
* 3 cups white sugar

* 1 (3 ounce) envelope liquid pectin

Directions

1.Cut apricots into 1/8 inch slices and measure into large stainless steel saucepan with the vinegar; let stand for four hours.
(I used fairly soft apricots so just soaked as long as it took to prep other ingredients.)
2.Cut onions and peppers into 1/8 inch slices; cut slices into a 1/4 inch dice. (I cheated and used my food processor for all)
3.Add to apricots and stir in sugar.
4.Bring mixture to a full rolling boil.
5.Stirring constantly, boil hard for one minute.
6.Stir in liquid pectin, mixing well. Remove from heat. (I boiled for one minute as per instructions on sure gel packet)
7.Pour into hot sterilized jars, dividing solids equally and fill to within 1/4 inch from top of jar.
8.Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes depending on altitude.
9. Once sealed you can rotate or invert jars while still warm to distribute solids if needed.

I took a bite and my lips burned for 15 minutes, my family is going to love getting this one.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I pressure canned for the first time this weekend!!
I had this rack of deer ribs in the freezer, and needed to make some room for sale items I stocked up on. So, I boiled the fool out of them for stew (which I'm gonna can tonight!) and ended up with a ton of yummy broth (actually only 5 pints but still :D ) Thats all that would fit in my mom's pressure cooker.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Blueberry Jam. I have 4 quarts and will be going back for more later in the week. Eagerly awaiting the peaches. :cool:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
I pressure canned for the first time this weekend!!
I had this rack of deer ribs in the freezer, and needed to make some room for sale items I stocked up on. So, I boiled the fool out of them for stew (which I'm gonna can tonight!) and ended up with a ton of yummy broth (actually only 5 pints but still :D ) Thats all that would fit in my mom's pressure cooker.
:celebrate I know how nerve-wracking that first time with the pressure canner can be! And five pints of pure de-lish, I'm sure!

I have to do some peaches this year. I always buy canned peaches on sale, it is time to buy a box from a local orchard and get busy.

Latest posts