WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Don't the skins "clog up" the sauce? My tomatoes are organic too, but grandma taught me to remove them to make a more palatable smooth sauce. I will sometimes dice it up in salsa or something chunky, but I am a peeler.
I use a whole foods blender and give them a god whirl. the sauce has more texture but not gunky. Some day I will peel them. See which I like better. g

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Happy to comply !

This is the official recipe. I altered it to suit me. Left out the cauliflower and added squash. Used cider vinegar, stuff like that.

SUMMER IN A JAR

Ingredients:
4 c Carrots, in 1/2 inch slices
4 c Green beans
10 c Cauliflower florets
1 c Onion rings
4 c Celery sticks (2 x 1/2 inch)
4 c Green pepper squares, 1 inch
6 c Sweet red pepper squares, 1-inch
2 c Pickling salt
12 c Water
12 c White vinegar
2 c Granulated sugar
1 tbsp Peppercorns
2 tsp Coriander seeds
1/3 c Mustard seeds
2 tbsp Turmeric
2 c Small pitted black olives

Directions:
In a large saucepan or preserving kettle, combine carrots, onions, celery, red and green peppers, beans and cauliflower. Sprinkle with salt and mix well, add water. Cover with a plate (to keep vegetables submerged) and let stand for 8 hours or overnight. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again thoroughly. In a larger preserving kettle, combine vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil, add vegetables and olives. Return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Pack vegetables into hot sterilized 1 pint jars; ladle liquid over vegetables leaving 1/8 inch headspace. Seal. Process 15 minutes in boiling water bath. Serve with sandwiches, cold meats and cheeses. Use any left over syrup in cabbage salads. Makes 20 pints.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Summer in a Jar
that's what I call my canned peaches ;)
I want to try that recipe though. I'll might have to omit the celery though, since I don't have any in the house.
I am looking forward to getting to eat some different pickles this year and also giving them away as gifts. So I try to make certain jars look especially pretty.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
10 more quarts of green beans! This makes 68 quarts so far!
:weee I love canning!