WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The last of the peanuts are in the canner. I got 49 quarts from this box, and maybe 4-5 quarts that I cooked up and ate without canning them. I did 7 quarts with only a teaspoonful of sea salt as an experiment for my mom, who has to restrict her salt but still eats my boiled peanuts whenever she can!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wow--that's a lot of nuts! I would love to try boiled peanuts some day :)

I got 14 quarts of chunked tomatoes and 7 quarts of salsa. I am SO grateful to my FIL for giving me all his tomatoes, as mine are not ripening and now are also being devastated by late blight.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I scored yesterday, when a friend of a friend call and asked if I would like some Elderberries. I picked two LARGE grocery bags, and got them cleaned yesterday!! Now I just need to figure out how many will go to jelly, how many to can for pies later, and I think the leftovers will go to some wine. :weee

puppyfeet

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Help! Can anyone tell me the easiest way to can peaches? I've made jams and jellies and canned tomatoes, but never peaches. I'd like to use a light syrup (and have the recipe for that) but wasn't sure how to actually go about canning them. Do I just put the peeled, pitted and sliced peaches in the jars and pour the sugar syrup over them and then process in the water bath or do I have to cook the peaches in the syrup?

Any help/advice would be appreciated since I couldn't resist this bushel and a half box of peach seconds at the farm stand yesterday and want to get them in the jars today. My DH already went out and bought me a new water bath canner (my old one rusted out) and extra jars and sugar.

Thanks!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
:welcome

From the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving:

Canning Peaches

2-3 lbs peaches sugar water

Raw pack: Wash peaches; drain. Peel peaches; cut in half and pit. Treat to prevent darkening. Make a light or med. syrup; keep syrup hot. Pack peaches cavity side down, layers overlapping , into hot jars, leaving 1/2" headspace. Ladle hot syrup over peaches leaving 1/2" headspace. Remove air bubbles. Seal. Process pints 25 min. & qts. 30 min. in a boiling water bath.

Hot pack: Wash, drain, peel, pit & treat as in raw pack. Make a med. or heavy syrup. Cook peaches one layer at a time in syrup until peaches are hot throughout. Pack hot peaches, cavity side down, into hot jars leaving 1/2" headspace. Ladle hot syrup over peaches leaving 1/2" headspace. Seal. Process pints 20 min. & qts. 25 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Hope this helps! :frow

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I haven't personally done peaches, but I copied this from my book the Complete Guid to Home Canning

Good Luck and Welcome!!!!

PEACHESHALVED OR SLICED
Quantity: An average of 17-1/2 pounds is needed per canner load of 7 quarts; an average of 11
pounds is needed per canner load of 9 pints. A bushel weighs 48 pounds and yields 16 to 24
quartsan average of 2-1/2 pounds per quart.
Quality: Choose ripe, mature fruit of ideal quality for eating fresh or cooking.
Procedure: Dip fruit in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds until skins loosen. Dip quickly in cold
water and slip off skins. Cut in half, remove pits and slice if desired. To prevent darkening, keep
peeled fruit in ascorbic acid solution (see page 1-3). Prepare and boil a very light, light, or
medium syrup (see page 2-1) or pack peaches in water, apple juice, or white grape juice. Raw
packs make poor quality peaches.
Hot packIn a large saucepan place drained fruit in syrup, water, or juice and bring to boil. Fill
jars with hot fruit and cooking liquid, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Place halves in layers, cut side
down.
Raw packFill jars with raw fruit, cut side down, and add hot water, juice, or syrup, leaving
1/2-inch headspace.
Adjust lids and process.
2-13
Recommended process time for Peaches, halved or sliced, in a BOILING-WATER canner
Process Time at Altitudes of
Style of Pack Jar Size 0 1,001 3,001 Above
1,000 ft 3,000 ft 6,000 ft 6,000 ft
Hot Pints 20 min 25 min 30 min 35 min
Quarts 25 min 30 min 35 min 40 min
Raw Pints 25 min 30 min 35 min 40 min
Quarts 30 min 35 min 40 min 45 min

puppyfeet

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you both so much for your help, and for making me feel so welcome to the site.(I've been lurking for a while):D.

kathyschix

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Our CSA had an open farm day yesterday with lots of extra organic Roma tomatoes for sale cheeeeeap!

$15 and 75 lbs of tomatoes later... sauce, pizza sauce and salsa... and I'm still not done yet. :th

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just canned tomato-jalapeno relish....mmmmm...

Next on the list...tomato sauce to go with the homemade manacotti I just froze yesterday!

75lbs of tomatoes for $15 bucks? :drool I'm so jealous!

Latest posts