Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Spiced Peach
from recipezaar
Ingredients

* 8 cups pitted peeled, chopped, peaches
* 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 6 tablespoons powdered fruit pectin (I tried one whole box
of sure jell it did not set, needs the two extra tablespoons)
* 5 cups sugar
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* zest of half a lemon, finely chopped.

Directions

1. Sterilize the jars, rings and lids.
2.In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the peaches and lemon juice to a boil.
3.Add the pectin and return the mixture to a boil.
4.Stirring constantly, slowly add the sugar.
5.Stir in the crystallized ginger, fresh ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and lemon zest and continue to boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
6.Remove from the heat stir for 5 minutes to prevent the fruit chunks from settling on the top. Skim any foam from the top of the jam if necessary after stirring.
7.Carefully pour the jam into the jars, leaving 1/4 inch space between the jam and the neck of the jar.
8.Cover with the lids and screw the bands on process in waterbath canner for 10 minutes for altitude under 1000.

418_100_4224.jpg

hunterjumper999

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I made Spiced Peaches in Simple Syrup today. I only made 2 quarts as I had some peaches that were going soft. at this rate I am going to be stocked up in no time!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
If you saw the freecycle plums on the TV broadcast the other day, they yielded 28 half pints of jam. Life is good.

Today I get cherries and green apples. Going to try and make pectin.

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello all, have not been on in a while, was looking through past post and seen the one below, just wanted to say that the Atwood's stores in my area stock jars from 1/4 pint to 1/2 gallon almost all year long, they also have other canning supplies including lids, flats and spice mixes! Don't know how many of you live near a Atwood's but thought I would mention it!!!
Have a question, has anyone ever or can you make a sweet relish from watermelon rinds that would taste like a sweet pickle relish!!!????
Have not done much canning, had some health issues this year and got my garden in late and it is not doing real good in this heat. I did get some juice and make up some grape and white grape Pomegranate jellies that turned out good!!!
Have a blessed day all!!! Lynn in Okla.

freemotion said:
DawnSuiter said:
Hi Everyone, I thought I might try joining in here on the SS canning thread instead of the BYC canning thread. I have so much in common with all of you, I feel more at home here.
:)

Last night I broke out the canner... I put up 9 quarts of pickles from my garden and half a dozen half pints of relishes.

The relishes are experiments really as we don't usually eat them.. once in a while I like to cut up a few sweet pickles for tuna salad or something... so I thought I might just use the food processor, whir some up and use the pickle juice on them. I also used some carrots & cabbage in a couple of them too.

A neighbor friend has donated HALF GALLON canning jars to me. Honestly I didn't know these things existed and I'm SO excited. Some are pretty old & are in need of some CLR maybe. They were formerly used as Moonshine bottles ;)

It's really HOT and our heat pump/AC is out :( so I'll be trying to can mostly toward fall.. but some stuff just can't wait!
Half gallon jars are perfect for fermenting in! Check out the fermenting thread for ideas. My one little quart of experimental fermented dills was TO-DIE-FOR and I seriously regretted only making one jar....but they didn't taste good while the cukes were coming in, but were amazing when I put them on the table a few months later.

I'll be doing at least a couple of gallons of those this summer. They are far less work, too, than canned pickles. I don't eat pickles at all, but those were so different.....I can't even explain it.

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the recipe, I love spiced peaches, my grandmother used to make them and I would set and eat them by the quart!!!!! She canned hers whole though!!! Lynn

sufficientforme said:
Spiced Peach
from recipezaar
Ingredients

* 8 cups pitted peeled, chopped, peaches
* 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 6 tablespoons powdered fruit pectin (I tried one whole box
of sure jell it did not set, needs the two extra tablespoons)
* 5 cups sugar
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* zest of half a lemon, finely chopped.

Directions

1. Sterilize the jars, rings and lids.
2.In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the peaches and lemon juice to a boil.
3.Add the pectin and return the mixture to a boil.
4.Stirring constantly, slowly add the sugar.
5.Stir in the crystallized ginger, fresh ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and lemon zest and continue to boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
6.Remove from the heat stir for 5 minutes to prevent the fruit chunks from settling on the top. Skim any foam from the top of the jam if necessary after stirring.
7.Carefully pour the jam into the jars, leaving 1/4 inch space between the jam and the neck of the jar.
8.Cover with the lids and screw the bands on process in waterbath canner for 10 minutes for altitude under 1000.

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/418_100_4224.jpg

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
strawbarry vanilla jam, strawbarry/cherry chocolate jam and strawbarry syrup( think nesquick byt made with real strawbarries!) I want to make watermellon jelly soon.

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Watermelon Jelly???? I want the recipe!!! Sounds good!!! Lynn Any ideas on my question about using watermelon to make a sweet relish???? Lynn

dntd said:
strawbarry vanilla jam, strawbarry/cherry chocolate jam and strawbarry syrup( think nesquick byt made with real strawbarries!) I want to make watermellon jelly soon.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Brought home some leftover black beans & refried beans from a catered lunch at work yesterday and canned most of it (had some of the pintos with cheese for lunch :D). Tomorrow I'm gonna try to can the mexican rice I brought home.

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I really need to get a pressure canner, they cost so much though, I know it will pay for it's self but I really don't have the initial out pay right now. I just made up about two gallons of Chili with pinto beans,it is simmering and smelling up the house as I type, If I had a canner could I can it with the beans in it or would they get mushy? We usually just freeze the left overs in 2 lb margarine bowls, that is if there is leftovers, we do have a fourteen year old boy in the house that loves my Chili!!!! LOL Lynn

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I canned strawberry-blueberry jam today, my first time canning anything. Well see how it comes out tomorrow! Quick question tho, do you have to pressure cook when canning meat or can you just do a longer water bath? Thanks!