WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, that makes me want to grow roses, it looks so good!

DH made some extra chili & I canned 7 quarts of that. Then I tried the bananna butter somebody (Ldychef2, mebbe?) told us about a couple of weeks ago. I had to laugh - it was 4 banannas and SIX AND A HALF CUPS OF SUGAR!!! Boy, that'll get you going in the morning....:th

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
chipmunk said:
Wow, that makes me want to grow roses, it looks so good!

DH made some extra chili & I canned 7 quarts of that. Then I tried the bananna butter somebody (Ldychef2, mebbe?) told us about a couple of weeks ago. I had to laugh - it was 4 banannas and SIX AND A HALF CUPS OF SUGAR!!! Boy, that'll get you going in the morning....:th
It's just so fun to go around and see what you can possibly use to make jelly.
I love having chilli canned up, it's so great to just pop the top on a jar of your home canned chilli on a cold wintry day. I made some banana butter from a recipe on byc and it called for maraschino cherries in it as well and it was delicious.

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I thought I might try joining in here on the SS canning thread instead of the BYC canning thread. I have so much in common with all of you, I feel more at home here.
:)

Last night I broke out the canner... I put up 9 quarts of pickles from my garden and half a dozen half pints of relishes.

The relishes are experiments really as we don't usually eat them.. once in a while I like to cut up a few sweet pickles for tuna salad or something... so I thought I might just use the food processor, whir some up and use the pickle juice on them. I also used some carrots & cabbage in a couple of them too.

A neighbor friend has donated HALF GALLON canning jars to me. Honestly I didn't know these things existed and I'm SO excited. Some are pretty old & are in need of some CLR maybe. They were formerly used as Moonshine bottles ;)

It's really HOT and our heat pump/AC is out :( so I'll be trying to can mostly toward fall.. but some stuff just can't wait!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Glad you decided to join our canning thread. Things are a bit quiet right now but will definitely pick up really soon. Last year I had pickles coming out my ears. I did dill chips, spears, bread and butter chips, relishes, I even canned zucchini relish. Needless to say more than half is still in my canning cupboard.

No pickles for me this year. Maybe only some garlic dill chips. Those seemed to go quick because we use them on burgers.

Someone around here said they only do pickles every other year. I think that will be a good idea.

The half gallon jars sound great. Were they full when you got them? :fl

So what are people on BYC canning? Chicken? :hide Oh, I know I'll catch flak for that one. :D

g

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh! Hubby found baby bellas on sale and bought 4 lbs. I canned 15 pints of the Cream of X soup recipe, sans flour, plus lots of garlic & onion. Good grief it smelled soooo goooood!

The last two jars of the flour thickened ones tasted a bit like rancid flour, so I decided to leave it out & thicken whenever we actually use it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
DawnSuiter said:
Hi Everyone, I thought I might try joining in here on the SS canning thread instead of the BYC canning thread. I have so much in common with all of you, I feel more at home here.
:)

Last night I broke out the canner... I put up 9 quarts of pickles from my garden and half a dozen half pints of relishes.

The relishes are experiments really as we don't usually eat them.. once in a while I like to cut up a few sweet pickles for tuna salad or something... so I thought I might just use the food processor, whir some up and use the pickle juice on them. I also used some carrots & cabbage in a couple of them too.

A neighbor friend has donated HALF GALLON canning jars to me. Honestly I didn't know these things existed and I'm SO excited. Some are pretty old & are in need of some CLR maybe. They were formerly used as Moonshine bottles ;)

It's really HOT and our heat pump/AC is out :( so I'll be trying to can mostly toward fall.. but some stuff just can't wait!
Half gallon jars are perfect for fermenting in! Check out the fermenting thread for ideas. My one little quart of experimental fermented dills was TO-DIE-FOR and I seriously regretted only making one jar....but they didn't taste good while the cukes were coming in, but were amazing when I put them on the table a few months later.

I'll be doing at least a couple of gallons of those this summer. They are far less work, too, than canned pickles. I don't eat pickles at all, but those were so different.....I can't even explain it.

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
LOL!! That's too funny.. even funnier is that we call our "meat birds" here, which are colored freedom rangers, Tank! They are all named Tank.. LOL.

Anyway.. they are BUSY canners over there, they can everything and anything! A few are real pros at it too I can tell, the canning thread there is very inspirational for sure!

We ran out of pickles here halfway through the year. We LOVE pickles... I could probably use a quart each month for sure. DD only eats sweet bread & butter types... but if I have time I hope to put away a couple of pints for myself of some dill spears.

The half gallon jars are empty ;) no moonshine left in them! :)
But they are dusty, old and have some rusty lids. I don't know what will survive cleaning, but they are Ball brand jars... so I'm guessing they'll survive well. I plan to fill them with whole tomatoes mostly I think.

OH.. I also canned up a whole quart of diced garlic... although I didn't process it.. just filled it with a little olive oil and a LOT of vinegar and use it from the fridge.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but it seems to me that half gallon jars are "approved" only for liquids like stocks and juices. Does anyone have more information on the safe use of half gallon jars for canning other things?

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I plan on doing tomatoes only, and following my old timer friends advice.. she's been doing this since childhood... I do read that it's only good for acidic juices, and I will gladly use them in subsequent years for grape juice from our vines... but I wonder why tomato juice isn't acidic enough by the "recommendations"

Latest posts