WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
More peaches!!!
Seems several of our trees decided to ripen at once this year. so we were very busy picking. We gave lots away and ate as many fresh as was possible.
Today I kept peeling and cutting until all the picked peaches were gone through. Good thing too. Many had gone bad :(

Another two trees are ready to be harvested. I already picked a basket. I really need to take these over to SIL, since they were so wonderfull as to come over and plow the field for us, when the regular guy was a no-show.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
17 pints of chili sauce (from the ball blue book - it's delish!)

I didn't think I was going to get much out of the tomatoes this year, but the fruits that did make it are huge - softball size on some! My plants are now brown and see-through from the ground to about 3 feet up. There is new growth, but blossoms aren't setting due to the ridiculous heat. Ugliest tomato garden I have ever seen :p

I have a ton of super hot peppers that I was going to use for salsa but I'm going to have to give away. They are way hotter than I expected them to be - hot cherries and some kinda long green things that are not sweet Italians like I thought.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Can I use slicing cucumbers for pickles? I had issues with my cuc's this year something was eating the little sprouts. So I kept reseeding. :D Sow I have an abundance of slicing but no pickling. What should I do with them??

Any suggestions?

g

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I used slicing cucumbers last year, in fact I used my burpless cucumbers for pickles last year and everyone that tried them loved them, made relish out of them also, the one thing I suggest is to pick them before they get too big, I personally don't like the big seeds in my pickles. I try to pick them when they are about 1 1/2 inches across in size, the longer the more slices you get!!!! Lynn :cool:

TanksHill said:
Can I use slicing cucumbers for pickles? I had issues with my cuc's this year something was eating the little sprouts. So I kept reseeding. :D Sow I have an abundance of slicing but no pickling. What should I do with them??

Any suggestions?

g

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Today it is 4 half-pints of (A.E.D.C.T.M.C) plum butter ;) and 8 half-pints of blackberry jam, straight up.

Plums were from my own trees and I gathered the blackberries from the state park down the road.

A few weeks ago I made 8 half-pints of WA state grown blueberry-lime jam.

Salsas are next!!

Yipee, I'm officially a seasoned w.b. canner.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
what a a litre? some kind of foreign thing???

i just did blackberry preserves too! yay!

:)

and pizza sauce

whoot!

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
21 quarts of Pintos and 16 pints of the same pintos. Wow, those suckers swelled a lot when soaking! Tomorrow its habanero jelly for my sweet husband and the 25lb bag of great northerns that are soaking now. Does anyone can onions other than pickles ? Due to the heat and wet, we had to pull our onions early, so we have LOTs of tiny little yellow onions.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Went to the farmers market this morning. Wow, do I have a story for you guys. I will try and put it in my journal later.

16 quarts tomato sauce.

Working on pickles from the garden right now.

g