WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I just make a basic vegetarian sauce - tomatoes, onions, garlic, herbs and a bit of lemon juice salt and pepper. Then I water bath it - 25 min pints 30 quarts.

I add the meat later when I make dinner. Easy to make the hamburger or sausage then pour in the red sauce. Another nice thing about making a simpler sauce is that I use it for pizza sauce, spaghetti, lasagna and anywhere a red sauce would be needed. ;)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FF, that prey much what's in my sauce. But I use the blender and purer without peeling.

I managed to get through 80% of my pears. Just in a light syrup.

Now its hot as heck and I am hiding in my garage.

G

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Holachicka said:
I'm trying watermelon jelly today. hopefully it'll be good. Also prepping for autumn cranberry pear jam, and carrot cake jam with the glut of pears I was given from DH's grandparents! Luckily they are ripening a bit at a time, just enough so I can do a batch or two of jam every few days, rather than all at once in a panicked rush!

I'm looking for a spaghetti sauce recipe that I can make with my water bath canner! PLEASE??? :D
PLEASE tell us how it turned out!!!! I have a watermelon in the refig right now and I saved the rinds from the one we just finished. I wanted to try that.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I like the way you do your basic vegetarian sauce Farmfresh.Shelf life about three yrs if need be...?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
R2D2 said:
I like the way you do your basic vegetarian sauce Farmfresh.Shelf life about three yrs if need be...?
I am sure it could, but it is so yummy it never has lasted that long. :lol:

BTW I use a crockpot to simmer it down and thicken it up. ;)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beanie said:
Holachicka said:
I'm trying watermelon jelly today. hopefully it'll be good. Also prepping for autumn cranberry pear jam, and carrot cake jam with the glut of pears I was given from DH's grandparents! Luckily they are ripening a bit at a time, just enough so I can do a batch or two of jam every few days, rather than all at once in a panicked rush!

I'm looking for a spaghetti sauce recipe that I can make with my water bath canner! PLEASE??? :D
PLEASE tell us how it turned out!!!! I have a watermelon in the refig right now and I saved the rinds from the one we just finished. I wanted to try that.
Wow. WOW. I was not looking forward to the watermelon jelly because I'm not a big fan of melons in the first place... But um Watermelon jolly ranchers in the form of a jelly? Heck yes! All it includes is the juice, lemon juice, sugar and powder pectin but the flavor is FANTASTIC!! I made it last night and it has not set yet. Not even close to setting, but the blog I got the recipe from states that it took about a week for hers to set. The leftovers I put into the fridge are begining to set, and IF this jelly doesn't set, it's ok... Can you say watermelon margaritas????

Actually... I have 4 cups of juice left in the fridge, I may just have to can that using the same recipe without the pectin just for margaritas...

Wait, does anyone know if that is safe? The pectin just helps it to set right? or does it have some preservative properties?

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tomorrow I start canning BBQ sauce for Christmas gifts. It's my hubby's recipe and being that he is a pastor it has been named.."Reverend Herb's Holy Smokes BBQ Sauce".

Latest posts