WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can`t wait to hear the final tally!! Good luck and lucky you!:ya

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Whoa!!! That is a LOT of jars!! Looks like some of them still have stuff in them... :sick
Where ever did you find them!?! I'm so jealous (mostly.... just not of the cleaning part....)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's quite the haul, hope cleaning them isn't going to be too much of a chore!

I picked up some organic grapefruits, oranges, and lemons from the farmer's market last week and today I made 8 half-pints of lovely marmelade--it's just pinging now :)

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Whoa!!! That is a LOT of jars!! Looks like some of them still have stuff in them... :sick
Where ever did you find them!?! I'm so jealous (mostly.... just not of the cleaning part....)
4 years ago we were at an estate auction on Mother's day. My oldest was 9 months old, it was chilly and raining... we bought a few things but ended up leaving because of the weather. Anywho I noticed that there was a cellar FULL of canning jars (most had food in them still) big ones small ones ... HUNDREDS of jars. Well the property sold and that was that. Saturday we just happened to be in the area and noticed that the house still sets untouched- except now the house has graffiti on it. I looked into the root cellar - still untouched. Monday I went to the courthouse and found out who owned the property- it was a real estate management place across the street from the courthouse! Walked down there and asked about the jars. $50 later and I get to clean it out!

I have more pictures posted on my blog if you want to check it out. I still have a lot more to go get. And yes some still have food in them, not that big of a deal though. Most of the seals were holding tight and the food is probably edible - I am not eating it, but some that we dumped smelled fine. Lots of apples and pickles. There were a few jars of hot peppers that literally burned your nose hairs they smelled so hot! We dumped a lot but still have a lot to get. The pictures on the blog are in order from when I started to when I finished yesterday. So the pics at the end are of what is left in the cellar.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Wow that is incredible. What a shame that the house is empty, but that means you got your gold out of it! That's amazing. I only hope I can land a treasure trove of jars like that at some point. I think I'm up to 8 now, LOL. I've got a long way to go!!

LittleRoosterCroft

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That sure is a ton of jars! And I am jealous like everyone else, except the cleaning part! LOL

Right now I am eating through my applesauce and filling them with oranges and grapefruit that are in season as fast as they are emptied!

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hope you take that middle shelf with you too.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
6 pints of cream of mushroom soup base. Will need to add milk and seasoning when they are opened. Depending on how we like the results I'll double (or more) the recipe next time. 6 pints in the canner is just silly :p

LittleRoosterCroft

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ORChick said:
6 pints of cream of mushroom soup base. Will need to add milk and seasoning when they are opened. Depending on how we like the results I'll double (or more) the recipe next time. 6 pints in the canner is just silly :p
How do you can cream of mushroom soup base? That sounds like a wonderful idea!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The homebrew crowd has a word for dried-on bits---beerstone. I e heard you cant soak it off. But the jars are glass, so you can use harsh chemicals if needed. I suggest soaking w water and deturgent first. Then, acid, rinse, base, rinse rinse rinse. Ypu can use acetic acid and lye, but rinse between. For really strong acid or base, dry jars before immersing.