WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Zoldani

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am not that good. The garden had a late start so I am not that far along.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I canned corn for the first time this year. I bought from my local health food store twice. 6 ears for a buck. With 36 ears I canned 24 pints. Worked out at about 25 cents per pint. Not bad. Canned corn cost a minimum of 68 cents when you can get it on sale. We don't eat corn too often so I figure the 48 pints should last.

It taste fantastic.

G

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Zoldani said:
Oh honey, I cheated and BOUGHT some :lol: I got them for a good price though ;)

G, we did corn too, and it is sooooooo good! :drool

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Zoldani said:
Oh honey, I cheated and BOUGHT some :lol: I got them for a good price though ;)

G, we did corn too, and it is sooooooo good! :drool
Just wondering--what is a good price for green beans by the bushel or peck? Or pound? Our nearest market sells them for $1.99/pound. I can't afford to buy then process them at that price.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I pretty much live in a good size city. So every week I look over the sale adds. I buy seasonally and sales for canning. I have seen green beans as low as 99 cents per pound at my health food store. I think if you were buying in bulk from a farmer they would be cheaper.

Prices do seem to be up a bit this year. I can normally buy peaches @ several pounds for a dollar at their peak. This year they never went under 79 cents per pound.

I would keep looking.

g

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have 10 pints of ground beef in the canner right now! First time using the pressure canner so am super excited. I sure hope it turns out....I have 40 more pounds of meat to can!

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Finished up the 10 pints of ground beef. Just wondering, there was a small amount of grease in the water inside the canner. Is this normal? Will it affect the sealing of the jars? We rinsed the burger after it was cooked before placing it in the jars to remove the majority of the grease but still some must have worked its way out of the jars. Perhaps I overfilled one of the jars?

Any wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks!

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
hqueen13 said:
So how do you can your corn?? The Other Half would love to can corn, and the corn around here is GOOD this year, with the drought its been sweet straight through the season.
Corn is super easy :)

Cut kernels from corn, there are some fancy corn-cutters out there but all you really need is a sharp knife. Pack loosely in jars, add salt (about a tsp per quart) and boiling water, leaving 1" headspace, process pints 55 minutes, quarts 85 minutes at 10 lbs pressure (adjust for your altitude, I need to process at 12 lbs pressure).

You can also do cream-style corn, which is the only way I've ever done it (the info above is from my Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving, on the same page as what I do for cream-style corn:

blanch ears 4 minutes in boiling water, cut corn from cob at center of kernel, leaving tips still in cob. Scrape cob to extract pulp and milk of remaining kernel portions. Measure kernels and pulp and for each 2 cups add 1 cup water. Bring to boil, reduce heat and boil gently 3 minutes. Ladle into pint jars (do NOT use quarts) season with 1/2 tsp of salt per pint, and process pints for 85 minutes at 10 lbs pressure (adjust for your altitude, I need to process at 12 lbs pressure).
Cream style corn on my list this year. It sounds to yummy. Thanks moolie.

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Has any body ever canned hulled barley? Not the pearled one. I would use a lot more barley if it was ready to use and I have a bunch of bags in my freezer that I would like out of there.

Latest posts