WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
5 1/2 pints of boysenberry jam with no seeds. 11 pints of cream style corn. But I have a question on the corn. I did a batch about 2 weeks ago and the color is beautiful. It was a generic yellow sweet corn and it turned out perfect. Last batch was made done with some super sweet Bi-color that I love and it comes out of the pressure canner quite a bit darker. Nothing in the prep was changed but my theory is the sugars carmelized more in the canning. I'm sure they will be delicious but they are not as pretty in the jar. Has anyone ever had this happen? Did it affect the taste? Any ideas are welcome.:/

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
It was carmelization from the super sweet genetics of the corn now I don't know how it will affect it.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Prepped 3 boxes of romas on Sunday afternoon, and canned yesterday afternoon/evening. After several days of beautiful cool weather, it was (of course) really hot again yesterday. So we fired up the BBQ and I did all the processing out on the deck. It's not ideal but it sure kept the heat and humidity out of the house! Ended up with 19 quarts of tomatoes and 17 of tomato/vegetable juice.

Still have peaches, plums and apples to process. Need to run some errands this morning, so I'm hoping to get the plums processed into jam this afternoon, and a batch of peach something...haven't quite decided what yet, LOL. A co-worker is supplying the apples from her tree, so I have more coming. Think I'll make sauce from this first batch and butter and juice from the next ones. We also found a few trees that are on public land...more like crabapples, so I may use those for the butter and save these bigger ones for juice.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
It was carmelization from the super sweet genetics of the corn now I don't know how it will affect it.
Thanks BB I thought that may be the case, these 2 batches are the only time I have ever canned corn (due to lack of freezer space) I needed some reassurance that I didn't mess something up.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
BarredBuff said:
Thanks BB I thought that may be the case, these 2 batches are the only time I have ever canned corn (due to lack of freezer space) I needed some reassurance that I didn't mess something up.
I prefer canned corn myself, and we use a Super Sweet and it doesn't carmelize. But it could be my methodology as well.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just got all my maters sauced and slow cooking down.. almost 11 gallons of mater burbling on the stove. Gonna let it cook down about to 2/3rds and then can it tomorrow.
Debating on how many quarts to do and how many pints? Now that my family is getting smaller the smaller sizes are working pretty good. but must remember the family dinners where we are all gonna be home.. too much math for this poor brain! :lol:

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Emerald said:
Just got all my maters sauced and slow cooking down.. almost 11 gallons of mater burbling on the stove. Gonna let it cook down about to 2/3rds and then can it tomorrow.
Debating on how many quarts to do and how many pints? Now that my family is getting smaller the smaller sizes are working pretty good. but must remember the family dinners where we are all gonna be home.. too much math for this poor brain! :lol:
Canning math is making my brain explode as well. Its even harder when tryng to stock pile jars for the ever increasing bounty I have yet to grow "next year". Then along comes tatler lids and do you order all wide mouth (I try to only buy widemouth jars) or get some for the reg. jars which seems to be all anyone ever sells around here but which I do not like but come up a lot at auction sales ect...and I cannot pass up. Oi vey!

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mickey328 said:
Aw, that sux, Terri. We have about 4 of them within 20 miles, thank goodness. There's no way I could grow enough to make canning worth the effort. There's also a small farmer less than a mile down the road from us who has a little roadside stand, although his hours are a bit odd...we see the sign but almost never anyone in their little lean to, LOL. We also have a co-op store that does the organic/herbal thing...they often have postings on their bulletin board from folks who have stuff for sale. Might you find something that way?
We have one farm store here but they only sell what they grow so it is very limited, some tomatoes, hot peppers and hay. They grow soybeans and cotton too but ship that off somewhere.. I haven't seen flyers or adds for produce anywhere. I guess everyone is keeping and canning it for themselves.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mickey328 said:
Prepped 3 boxes of romas on Sunday afternoon, and canned yesterday afternoon/evening. After several days of beautiful cool weather, it was (of course) really hot again yesterday. So we fired up the BBQ and I did all the processing out on the deck. It's not ideal but it sure kept the heat and humidity out of the house! Ended up with 19 quarts of tomatoes and 17 of tomato/vegetable juice.

Still have peaches, plums and apples to process. Need to run some errands this morning, so I'm hoping to get the plums processed into jam this afternoon, and a batch of peach something...haven't quite decided what yet, LOL. A co-worker is supplying the apples from her tree, so I have more coming. Think I'll make sauce from this first batch and butter and juice from the next ones. We also found a few trees that are on public land...more like crabapples, so I may use those for the butter and save these bigger ones for juice.
If they are crab apples pick and make some Pection!! I'm sure that the recipe has to be here somewhere..:thumbsup

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Great idea Emerald! I hadn't thought of that...think I'll check it out. Sure would beat having to buy the stuff. Thanks!

Latest posts