WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
5 quarts of split pea soup and 17 pints of crushed tomatoes (had GOBS of whole frozen tomatoes in the freezer - so nice to get those done and make more room in my freezer!)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
KnittyGritty said:
5 quarts of split pea soup and 17 pints of crushed tomatoes (had GOBS of whole frozen tomatoes in the freezer - so nice to get those done and make more room in my freezer!)
Split Pea soup sounds yummy. Today its apple sauce only 9 pints so far.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
BarredBuff said:
23 Pints of Ground Beef

20 Pints of Beef Chunks
Did you butcher a cow or find a good deal somewhere?

Gina
We bought half of a grass fed beef from a friend, and I canned all of the stew meat we got and a third of the ground beef.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yesterday we canned:

7 Quarts of Chicken Breast Filets
5 Quarts of Dark Meat Chunks
7 Quarts of "Quick" Stock

Not bad for 11 meat birds.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today I am using 6 quarts of tomatoes for News Years Eve chili and celebration!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
10 pt venison. It was an experiment. The muscle toward the foot-end of the legs tends to be tough and there's a lot of connective tissues around it. I cut it into 1" lengths and cold-packed it into jar. After pressure canning for the usual amount of time, the individual bundles of muscle were separated because most of the connective tissue broke down. The liquid was a very firm jelly. Taste good, too.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made and canned dog food. I feed my prts as well as I feed my family, so that means natural, identifiable foods that don't come pelleted. Although I don't worry about taste for them. This batch was 2 whole chickens that were a bit tough, baked and deboned. Several pounds of green beans and mixed veggies that had a little freezer burn on them. And lots of rice. Cooked it all up individually, and layered into canning jars: about 3/4 cups per serving, each serving consists of 1 part chicken, 1 part veggies, and 2 parts rice. Keep layering until the jar is full, I can get usually 2.5 - 3 servings of those into one pint jar if I press it down well.

The dog loves it. And it's the same price (sometimes cheaper) than the natural organic stuff I would feed from a bag. My dog is 45 lbs, without all the corn and junk fillers in bagged food 3/4 C of food twice a day is plenty to keep her energetic and healthy.