WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Putting more spaghetti sauce on the stove now. I should get about 7 qts. I have been picking as much as I can before the hard freeze and so far have been very lucky . Had a light frost last saturday and the tomatoes and peppers are still just fine but not for long.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The last of the tomatoes, probably got about 8 quarts simmering on the stove to can up later :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
BarredBuff said:
5 Quarts of Chicken :D
Do you leave the chicken on the bone , how about the skin on or off what do you prefer?
I always skin them because it is so much easier than to pluck it. This was deboned, that is all I have done so far. My Cornish will be bone in. Today I canned 3 quarts of chicken, and 3 Pint and a Halfs of Chicken Meal Base (a little chicken with mainly broth).

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks BB I just got an excellent deal on bone in chicken breasts at .79 a pound and want to get them done tonight. I wish they were home raised but the deal was too good to pass up and until I can get set up to butcher my own this will have to do. I have about 28 pounds so tonight both canners will be going. I think I will de-bone and skin them and I can make broth as well.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
What I have been canning previously was my homegrown roosters, so what I did was pull it from the bone. You may want to do that as well, it is more work but it saves time and room later on. I love to get those deals too, I think its great!

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Finished canning chicken at midnight. I got 14 pints, 6 quarts of stock and cooked one package for dinner plus leftovers the rest of the week. I had never thought to can chicken until I read all of the posts and started thinking why not? It was so easy and now I won't need to buy the expensive stuff in the metal can. Thanks for all of the great info it really inspired me. :weee

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I canned meat for the first time this year. For the chicken, I just skinned it and cut it into pieces. I had limited time, so I left the bones in. Next time, I'll remove them just to make more room in the jars, though.