WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've seen deer rearing up on their hind legs or jumping to get at the apples on our trees, lol. We have two old trees- one appears to be a Red Delicious (which I was never impressed with when I tasted the ones you buy in the store; but when they are fresh off the tree, they really are... delicious!) The other tree is something we don't recognize-- the fruit seems to be better for baking or canning than eating fresh. It's a deep red, and the fruit is almost perfectly spherical. It seems to bloom a little later than most of the trees in the neighborhood, so the pollination is iffy.

mythreesons

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Canned 8-jars of Blackberry jam.....4-jars Peach jam and 2-quarts of Peach pie filling..all the fruit was free from foraging or from my own yard.

mythreesons

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hinotori said:
Very nice. Got to love fruit that is free for the work picking. Tastes good in the off season.
Thanks..I hope to be able to can a whole lot more of the Peach pie filling from my loaded tree this year...I hope to score some free Apples ( my trees are to young to produce) from a friend of mine that works at a tree farm to make the Apple pie filling to enjoy during the winter months..

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did it! I canned for the first time. Just some non seasoned tomato sauce but still I did it.:weee I do have to say my mother in law is wonderful. She popped over to help me.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Woo hoo! Feels great, doesn't it? Just wait until you get use one of your jars!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Watch out, it's very addictive--soon you'll be canning everything! ;)

Congratulations :thumbsup