WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

fair weather chicken

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
wife and son picked wild blackberries and we put them up as freezer jam. had some this am w/breakfast on toast,yummmmmmmm. also put up blueberry and had that on pork chops. can't wait to have them on our own chops.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I haven't been posting regularily, but the question should be what haven't I canned??

Tomatoes, Tomato Sauce, Spaghetti Sauce, Corn, Green Beans, Jams and Jellies, Pizza Sauce, Apples, Applesauce, Blackberries, Tomato Soup, Salsa, Squash, Tomato Juice, Pickle Relish, Pickled Beets, and Chili. Have I mentioned I haven't touched the potatoes, carrots, greens, peas, second patch of corn, late green beans, or sweet potatoes? Then it will be slaughter time, with lots of beef, chicken, rabbit, and hopefully venison.

Filled several jars this year, the Lord has been good!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't been canning much this year; using the dehydrator more. But DH and I had a nice outing to the coast yesterday, and picked up some tuna, fresh from the boat. There are 2 dozen half pints in the canner right now, and at least a dozen more will get their turn when this lot is done. There will also be enough to put some on the grill for dinner, as well as another recipe I want to try out. The neighbour has been sending out desperate pleas regarding his overladen pear tree, so I will probably go down later today or tomorrow to *help him out* :). Pear sauce will be the next thing in the canner.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
14 pints seasoned green beans :)
So, tell me, are home canned beans better than commercially canned? I don't like commercially canned beans (its a texture thing), and have never considered doing them myself for this reason. But I know they are a popular item for home canning. Of course, I don't particularly like any canned veg., so perhaps I should just be quiet :lol:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
moolie said:
14 pints seasoned green beans :)
So, tell me, are home canned beans better than commercially canned? I don't like commercially canned beans (its a texture thing), and have never considered doing them myself for this reason. But I know they are a popular item for home canning. Of course, I don't particularly like any canned veg., so perhaps I should just be quiet :lol:
I don't actually can many veggies that aren't pickled, because we just don't eat canned veggies, but hubs and I both grew up eating the commercial version of these and we do nostalgically like them from time to time. Only started doing them a few years ago when I found a recipe in an old 1970s cookbook that sounded like what we grew up eating. And sometimes there are just too many beans coming in to eat fresh! So I do these and also Dilly Beans (pickles) when I have a glut.

They also are a great addition to a multi-bean salad, along with other legume-type beans.

The only other veggies I ever can are carrots (when we have a bumper crop and there are lots of smalls) and potatoes just for convenience--both get dumped into quick stew dinners with canned stew beef.

Better than commercial? No idea, haven't had a can of veg from the store in my adult life. But I do know what's in these--just beans, onions and celery (all from my garden) plus some salt and hot pepper flakes.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks moolie; they almost sound good, as you describe them. I think I'll continue to freeze my extras though, though dilly beans are something I've been meaning to try too.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I freeze plenty as well, but if you get the chance/inclination, definitely do try the dilly beans--just do them the same as your regular dills for canning. My hubs loves them :)

Latest posts